New RICOH THETA S available for hacking in SF Sept 19-20

The place to discuss development topics.
Discussions on the RICOH THETA API and SDK, image processing of spherical images, other hardware related topics, introduction of useful libraries, etc.

New RICOH THETA S available for hacking in SF Sept 19-20

Postby codetricity » 08 Sep 2015, 17:35

The new RICOH THETA S will be available for hacking for the first time ever at the TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon at Pier 70, September 19-20. http://techcrunch.com/events/disrupt-sf-hackathon-2015/event-home/ We have a limited number of free tickets for serious RICOH THETA hackers. Please contact us in the RICOH developer forum to apply for tickets. As the tickets are hard to obtain, we are distributing tickets based on the experience and enthusiasm of the hacker. Please let us know a little bit about your experience and main idea for hacking the new RICOH THETA S. We are also making tickets available for expert enthusiasts that want to help us answer questions at the Hackathon as a volunteer.

The new camera uses a new API compliant with Open Spherical Camera (OSC) API version 1.0. Details are available on the Google Developers site here. https://developers.google.com/streetview/open-spherical-camera/?hl=en The API is extended to accommodate the RICOH THETA original functions.

For more information, please see the announcement of RICOH THETA API v2 in the THETA developers forum. https://developers.theta360.com/en/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=110

Hope to see you and your project at TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon.
codetricity

Re: New RICOH THETA S available for hacking in SF Sept 19-20

Postby FreeBDS » 13 Sep 2015, 08:25

TIP:

Ricoh Theta S can fly with Parrot Bebop Drone !!!
Another SDK : http://developer.parrot.com/
Plenty of hacks are coming ...
FreeBDS

Postby asierarranz » 15 Sep 2015, 02:45

Hello all,

Surprisingly I am in the Bay Area because I was invited by Google.org to a hackathon to develop products for people with disabilities, in this case was using Virtual Reality, I will be here for at least 2 weeks. I am VERY interested about using a Ricoh Theta to take part on the TCD hackathon.

I have had the M15 and the first version too, I would like to develop a solid scalable system with the video streaming, probably based on WebRTC, with a friend that is one of the best coders I know, here you have a little about my experience..

Let me know how I should proceed, thanks a lot!
asierarranz

Postby codetricity » 15 Sep 2015, 23:56

Asierarranz, please send a note to ricohtheta360@oppkey.com
The video streaming through USB and HDMI cable only outputs dual fish-eye videos right now. The video is not stitched together. There are plans to have this software in the future, but it will not be available for the hackathon. The video looks quite good when saved to a file and then viewed on a mobile phone. There is no HD video streaming over WiFi right now. There is live_preview, which works on the official RICOH app, but I haven't got it to work with my test kit yet.

https://developers.theta360.com/en/docs/v2/api_reference/commands/camera._get_live_preview.html

Hope to see you at the hackathon. Maybe you can help us figure some stuff out too. :-) Send us a note via email. Thanks
Last edited by codetricity on 16 Sep 2015, 00:03, edited 1 time in total.
codetricity

Postby codetricity » 16 Sep 2015, 00:02

FreeBDS, can you provide more information on how the THETA S works with Parrot Bebop Drone? Are you using it to take videos and store it locally on the THETA S for later retrieval using a USB cable or WiFi? I don't think the WiFi signal is strong enough to download a video file from a flying drone. Though, I would curious to hear how you used it.
codetricity

Postby asierarranz » 16 Sep 2015, 00:32

:-D Great!!! We can do the stitching anyway and stream it in 48h ;) You will see it :-D
asierarranz

Postby codetricity » 16 Sep 2015, 00:40

That would be so awesome if you can get the stitching to work! Don't forget to send the email with basic information such as name and company. We need it for the ticket registration and you need your ticket before you get there. It will be sent by email. We really need help developing stuff as the camera is pre-production right now and we're lacking in software examples. The camera is so cool. Remember to look at the NEW API v2 reference docs as the old API will not work with the THETA.
codetricity

Postby codetricity » 17 Sep 2015, 13:40

We will have a table at the Hackathon that will have a prototype app to convert dual fish-eye movies from the THETA S to equirectangular videos that can be uploaded to YouTube and then controlled with the navigation arrows or the mouse (grab and drag the image scene). We won't be able to distribute this software at the Hackathon. You'll need to use sneaker net to get us the video file. We don't have the source code of the conversion app and no one at the table will be able to explain the algorithm. We can only help with the mp4 file conversion for your testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXX_JjQdtmE

It would be awesome if someone could build a stitching app.

We have a limited number of cameras and many people are interested in hacking on them.
codetricity

Postby codetricity » 18 Sep 2015, 11:55

There is so much excitement for the RICOH THETA S Hacking at TechCrunch Disrupt. People are flying in just to hack on the camera. Wow. If you plan to go there just to hack on the THETA, make sure you tell us so that we hold a camera for you. There are only a limited number at the table. There is no mock server.

TechCrunch Disrupt Hackathon itself is crazy with excitement. I just went to DevPost and saw this.

Look forward to meet people tomorrow.
codetricity

Return to Development