best way to get live stream from tetha s

The place to discuss development topics.
Discussions on the RICOH THETA API and SDK, image processing of spherical images, other hardware related topics, introduction of useful libraries, etc.

best way to get live stream from tetha s

Postby metallizard » 04 Dec 2015, 18:26

Hi, finally i have tetha s and i want to do some stuff with it.
i want to get livestream from tetha to my phone. which method should i use ? is starting session, take picture using camera.takePicture, checking for state, get latest image using camera.getImage and do that on and on is a good thing ? or there are another method should i use ?

thank you before. regards
metallizard

Re: best way to get live stream from tetha s

Postby gtk2k » 06 Dec 2015, 09:53

camera._getLivePreview()
gtk2k

Postby codetricity » 10 Dec 2015, 15:48

There is currently no support to get the video stream to your phone over WiFi. If the camera is connected with USB or HDMI, it will output an unstitched dual fish-eye live stream. In still image mode, you can get live preview https://developers.theta360.com/en/docs/v2/api_reference/commands/camera._get_live_preview.html

The output is MotionJPEG for Live View of still images.
codetricity

Postby kosso » 20 Dec 2015, 22:21

I'm currently having no luck with camera._getLivePreview
It returns a 403 error. Which is Forbidden.

Everything else works fine.

I'm building a Titanium app and intend to eventually set the MJPEG to the src of an img in a webView. (Or just the url of a webView)
kosso

Postby MarlonCreative » 22 Dec 2015, 04:57

Very cool. Keep me posted! :geek:
MarlonCreative

Postby AiQLee » 27 Jan 2016, 08:03

hey guys, I'm trying to live stream the image from Theta to the Unity in laptop through "WiFi".
I'm still not sure if it is possible. Just keep me updated.
AiQLee

Postby codetricity » 27 Jan 2016, 14:41

It's not possible over WiFi. You could theoretically get it to another device connected with USB and have that stream to your laptop with WiFi, but it's not supported to stream directly with WiFi right now.
codetricity

Postby AiQLee » 28 Jan 2016, 11:12

Live View Specifications (Only still image capture mode) (RICOH THETA S)
Equirectangular data in MotionJPEG format is output.
Image size: 640x320
Frame rate: 10fps

This is in the Overview of Theta S. I realize that it might be possible to live stream the preview image to the laptop through WIFI. Although the resolution is low.
If you try the SDK, you can find out they already achieve the live stream over WiFi. But it is for iOS development.
I'm trying to do it in Unity now.

codetricity wrote:It's not possible over WiFi. You could theoretically get it to another device connected with USB and have that stream to your laptop with WiFi, but it's not supported to stream directly with WiFi right now.
AiQLee

Postby codetricity » 28 Jan 2016, 14:20

Other people have had problems with getLivePreview and JavaScript or Titanium. I'm not familiar with Unity. Can you use another language that is not JavaScript to access getLivePreview?

Also, I am curious, what type of application are you interested in building? I don't quite understand why people are livestreaming into Unity. Thanks.

BTW, did you see this:

https://theta360.com/en/support/download/firmware/s/
Notification of firmware update for “RICOH THETA S” camera.
We recommend updating to the newest firmware version that includes additional functions and product improvements.
■RICOH THETA S
Resolved the bug in which Live view was not displayed.
RELEASE NOTES: Version 01.30

Is your firmware at 1.30?
codetricity

Postby AiQLee » 29 Jan 2016, 05:53

I have no problem with using Live view while I will update to the latest firmware. Thanks for your notification :)

I'm using C# in Unity right now because my research team is focusing on a sphere projection.
And their system is built in Unity.
That's why I want to do the live stream into Unity over WiFi.
Right now I have some problem with using the Theta API to do the HTTP connection.
I think I need to new a thread to ask for help.

codetricity wrote:Other people have had problems with getLivePreview and JavaScript or Titanium. I'm not familiar with Unity. Can you use another language that is not JavaScript to access getLivePreview?

Also, I am curious, what type of application are you interested in building? I don't quite understand why people are livestreaming into Unity. Thanks.

BTW, did you see this:

https://theta360.com/en/support/download/firmware/s/
Notification of firmware update for “RICOH THETA S” camera.
We recommend updating to the newest firmware version that includes additional functions and product improvements.
■RICOH THETA S
Resolved the bug in which Live view was not displayed.
RELEASE NOTES: Version 01.30

Is your firmware at 1.30?
AiQLee

Return to Development