360 viewing/uploading plugin for Lightroom?

The place to discuss development topics.
Discussions on the RICOH THETA API and SDK, image processing of spherical images, other hardware related topics, introduction of useful libraries, etc.

360 viewing/uploading plugin for Lightroom?

Postby ymatto » 06 Mar 2016, 18:52

I tend to pipe all of my photos -- whether SLR, iPhone, or Theta -- through Lightroom, but the nature of the Theta photos makes them a little less integrated into the all-in-one-app Lightroom experience. I'm wondering if it's even possible for one to write a plugin for Lightroom that would display Theta images the way they show up on theta360.com etc, rather than simply equirectangular. It would be really wonderful to view the images more as they are intended to be viewed when culling and editing them, but I have no idea if there's any chance of that working.

Also, seemingly much simpler would be a plugin to upload images directly from Lightroom to theta360.com (or even Google Street View). Anybody look into that at all?
ymatto

Re: 360 viewing/uploading plugin for Lightroom?

Postby CorLeone » 08 Mar 2016, 07:36

I have the same "every image in Lightroom" strategy and understand you points.
However, over the years I got used to handling the ER format for spherical images in Lightroom (use it for stitched spheres as well). It's not perfect, but I can live with it.
But anyway, in case there are alternative approaches, I'm interested to learn about them ...
CorLeone

Postby StevePearce » 13 Mar 2016, 02:51

I agree, I've catalogued all Theta S pics/vid in LR - edited the stills and exported from LR but the final step is still to add 360 MetaData in the Theta App.
StevePearce

Postby ymatto » 25 Apr 2016, 01:57

This is far from a perfect solution, but I did realize I could do something to make things a little smoother. I set up a saved Export option in Lightroom called "Theta 360 Export" which saves the image a separate export directory for Theta images, and chose the option to open in an application after export, setting it to the Ricoh Theta app. At least with this, I can have my Theta images in Lightroom and pop them up in the Ricoh app for reviewing or posting on theta360.com with essentially one click.
ymatto

Postby CorLeone » 25 Apr 2016, 07:31

Nice idea!
CorLeone

Return to Development