[Suggestion] Make sharing of full resolution videos possible and easy

The place to discuss development topics.
Discussions on the RICOH THETA API and SDK, image processing of spherical images, other hardware related topics, introduction of useful libraries, etc.

[Suggestion] Make sharing of full resolution videos possible and easy

Postby EdwardDeLeonHickman » 22 Mar 2016, 09:51

Add in one button sharing that doesn't re-encode the footage we shot. Add it in as a premium pay service if you must but add it in or this device is useless for video.

The quality of footage that you end up with after being forced to pass the transferred video through the Theta S application is quite simply unacceptable and unusable. The workflow of passing it thought the app, having to add metadata in with yet another small application, and then being able to upload to a service for sharing only to end up with completely useless footage is also simply NOT acceptable.
EdwardDeLeonHickman

Re: [Suggestion] Make sharing of full resolution videos possible and easy

Postby mbirth » 22 Mar 2016, 13:55

What do you expect from a $400 device?

Even the new Nikon KeyMission "4K" camera for $500 only does 3840x2160 pixels (vs. 1920x960 of the Theta). And that's not even available at the moment.

For high quality 360° video, you'd need a GoPro rig which costs $4000+ for all the GoPros and the rig. A system capable of live streaming in high quality is sold for $100k to professionals.
mbirth

Postby EdwardDeLeonHickman » 22 Mar 2016, 19:36

I expect the software not to re-render the footage in such a way that it is unusable?

The camera takes images that I can use but the application I must pass content through to share it is what is causing the problem. So it's a development issue not a physical hardware issue. They simply aren't getting their encoding settings right. I don't care about file size as much as I care about image quality. Right now the Ricoh app crushes the footage down, losing a LOT of information in the process. That's not required to stitch it together. In fact the file sizes should be going UP after an render, not down.

At the very least they should let us pick how to encode it if they are unsure how to do it.
EdwardDeLeonHickman

Postby mbirth » 23 Mar 2016, 16:12

Are you on a Mac? Because it was said elsewhere in the forum, that the DualfishBlender on Mac tends to use worse settings than the one on Windows.

Also, you HAVE to stitch the dualfish video to equirectangular, because that's the format that works everywhere. For me, there's no noticeable quality loss. (And at least with Windows, it adds the metadata automatically. No need to pass it through another app.)
mbirth

Postby jim_edgerton » 29 Mar 2016, 04:38

mbirth, I think you're missing his intent. The still images are wonderful. The original videos are good. The switched from two fisheye to one distorted image is not very good but acceptable. But when the image is posted to Youtube (which requires an extra pass through Youtube's 360 metadata tool) it looks like a copy of a copy of a worn VHS video of someone's old television screen from across the room in the 1950s. It's just worthless.

In another thread, the recommendation is to generate a version of the video in 4K HD. Once you do this, then have the Youtube video player set to high definition, the video looks crappy but acceptable. The only problem is that it's over 100MB per minute.

With the amazing engineering for the rest of the camera, it shouldn't be a great task for Ricoh to improve the video quality.
jim_edgerton

Postby 360vr1 » 30 Mar 2016, 17:17

Hi I partly agree that the video's on YouTube unfortunately are not of an acceptable quality. that is also because YouTube zooms in to far. If we could get the script that Theta is using on their site i could embed the video's myself on my own site (i'm not much of an expert to distill this out of teh sites myself. I'm not limited by the size or length of the video and slightly zooming out the video becomes a lot more acceptble
360vr1

Postby Ratatosken » 06 Apr 2016, 12:54

This is an youtube issue, there is other platforms to post on for better result.
http://www.vrideo.com is one and there is several more
Ratatosken

Return to Development