Feature request: Option to get source images for manual stitching

The place to discuss development topics.
Discussions on the RICOH THETA API and SDK, image processing of spherical images, other hardware related topics, introduction of useful libraries, etc.

Feature request: Option to get source images for manual stitching

Postby mr_cg » 09 Apr 2016, 10:45

I would like to see an option to get the two source images available for own manual stitching on external programs (e.g. Hugin, PTGui, Autopano, PanoramaStudio).

This will allow the following benefit:
1. Equirectangular images could be manually stitched based on more then two source pictures.
=> provides more control on moving areas
=> final image quality could improve because lower resolution at the edge of the fisheye picture will not be used (e.g. 4x 90)
2. Theta device could be rotated on optimal zero parallax (~nodalic point) point which will improve stitching accuracy
3. Photographer person could be easily stitched out from the final panorama. 1st shot to the front, user at the back. 2nd shot to the rear, user moves to the front.

Would be good to have such option similar to RAW+JPEG in DSLR cameras.
If option is set equirectangular image + two source images are available.
Alternatively: If option is set only two source images without equirectangular image is available.

Would be great to get such feature. Beside RAW image support this would be the most wanted feature from my side for professional user of the Theta.

How this could be already done by current API ???
mr_cg

Re: Feature request: Option to get source images for manual stitching

Postby mr_cg » 11 Apr 2016, 15:51

Almost same request here:

https://developers.theta360.com/en/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112
https://developers.theta360.com/en/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=603

@ Ricoh Development: Providing an "expert output" option to get single source picture in RAW (tiff, dng) would fulfill almost all requests from the professional users. Be one step ahead from your competitors. ;-)
mr_cg

Postby TracyHare » 19 Apr 2016, 14:15

I'd love to see this as well. The internal stitching is very good, but occasionally I need to do some adjustments.
TracyHare

Postby codetricity » 23 Apr 2016, 00:12

I have a request from a RICOH product manager to help collect and propose information that could be offered in a potential developer relations program that would require a formal NDA and possibly other things. Within this program, it might be possible to share some level of additional data. This expert mode might be tough because it seems like it would need modification to the firmware for an expert mode, which requires engineering resources. I'm trying to go through the forums for other requests like this. I know about the request for lens distortion data.

I really don't know what is possible to share for a developer program. But, at least there's a way to get some feedback back to the management.

Thanks for the good info.
codetricity

Return to Development