Theta Repair or Re-Purpose?

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta Repair or Re-Purpose?

Postby brianlrichards » 05 Sep 2015, 20:05

I recently dropped my Theta while it was on a mono pod which prevented any visible damage but the g- forces must have lossened an internal part, may be a prism, and now half of the pano is completely blurred. As the Theta is out of warranty Ricoh support tells me there is nothing they can do to repair it. Rather than throw it away I would either like to try to open it and fix it or find some uses that only require a 180 degree view, like the application that won one of the developer categories for inspecting the inside of marine engines: http://award.contest.theta360.com/awards/en/entry/74.html

Any suggestion for how to open it or for possible applications would be welcome.
brianlrichards

Re: Theta Repair or Re-Purpose?

Postby heckendr » 01 Nov 2015, 21:51

Hi Brian,

Did you have any luck with disassembly? I'm curious about that to, in order to experiment with modifications for HDR capture in outdoor scenes.

Cheers,
Daniel
heckendr

Re: Theta Repair or Re-Purpose?

Postby brianlrichards » 02 Nov 2015, 00:59

heckendr wrote:Hi Brian,
Did you have any luck with disassembly? I'm curious about that to, in order to experiment with modifications for HDR capture in outdoor scenes.
Cheers,
Daniel

I started to try to open it but it felt like it would break the cover so I stopped. If you find away without damaging it I would like to hear about it.

Brian
brianlrichards

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA