Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby brianlrichards » 31 Oct 2015, 21:15

I have been testing my new Theta S for two days now and most outdoors shots, where the sun is visible in the sky, have in a small bright red circular lens flare usually below the horizon with a secondary larger but much less bright pinkish flare higher up. Also the sun itself has a circular white ghost flare offset from the center of the sun. The small red flare is very noticeable and annoying. I have not seen this in any of the few Theta S sample shots and I never experience this problem with the Theta m15. Has anyone else found this problem or is my Theta S a 'lemon'?
brianlrichards
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 21:37

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby mbirth » 31 Oct 2015, 21:34

I had this with the m15 when the sun was shining from the side of the camera. Try pointing one lens directly to the sun and see if it helps.
mbirth
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 13:53

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby brianlrichards » 03 Nov 2015, 00:59

Here are two examples of the bright red flare, does anyone else get this?

https://theta360.com/s/d85m9DpaYiz9NxRTjLVvvb7r6

https://theta360.com/s/o1lL58knF8JwssYO8lViOInKq
brianlrichards
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 21:37

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby mbirth » 03 Nov 2015, 10:12

Yup, as I said, it's due to the fisheye lenses. Try pointing one of the lenses directly to the sun.
mbirth
 
Posts: 121
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 13:53

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby brianlrichards » 06 Nov 2015, 21:41

I am familiar with flare on many types of fisheye lenses, but this is more pronounced. I analysed over 2000 panos taken with my Theta m15 and found only a few with a reddish flare mostly at the zenith. With my new Theta S I find it is a common occurrence when the sunshines and the flare is in the middle of the frame so much more visible and bright red. Has anyone else noticed this difference is my Theta lens set slightly missaligned?
brianlrichards
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 21:37

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby MEC4D » 17 Nov 2015, 20:59

if you point the one lens to the sun you will get red , blue and yellow flare no matter what plus sometimes bloom effect on only half of the panorama, I avoid it, the best result was to point the middle of the cam lenses to the sun, it will eliminate additional flares and bloom effect still you get red lens flare no matter the position of the lens, but the flare is different depends on the vertical position of the sun to the camera , how lower the light source entering the lens how bigger the lens flare
MEC4D
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 Nov 2015, 01:20

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby brianlrichards » 18 Nov 2015, 00:25

MEC4D wrote:if you point the one lens to the sun you will get red , blue and yellow flare no matter what plus sometimes bloom effect on only half of the panorama, I avoid it, the best result was to point the middle of the cam lenses to the sun, it will eliminate additional flares and bloom effect still you get red lens flare no matter the position of the lens, but the flare is different depends on the vertical position of the sun to the camera , how lower the light source entering the lens how bigger the lens flare

I find that the Theta S is a lot better than the Theta m15 in terms of bloom effects, which could be quite marked on the m15, and are only occassionaly noticeable on the S. I have seen a few more examples on the web from the Theta S now and I think the small bright red flare spot I am talking about is charateristic of this model. Ricoh have improved the len design on the S and I think flare and bloom is more controlled. The small red flare can be edited out on still images, it' s more of an issue on 360 video.
brianlrichards
 
Posts: 32
Joined: 02 Apr 2015, 21:37

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby MEC4D » 20 Nov 2015, 19:52

Agree , when I shot in a darker place with for example with big opening one the front, I noticed that pointing the front lens toward the light source will create horrible bloom effect and issue after stitching however setting the cam on the side where the both lenses capture the light and dark area the effect is gone, but sometimes I am getting double flares but is easy to edit in still images. I believe the shutter speed is too slow at 1/6400 in some situations like sunny days with the f.2 , but works great indoor or on a cloudy days , they should definitely increase the shutter speed to 1/8000 in still images, it would make the cam so much better and improve the quality and dynamic range and if you going to do outdoor HDR it is a must. Right now the highest dynamic range I am getting indoor is 15-19 where outdoor on a sunny day maximum 4 ending in burned image and there is not a way to get rid of the burn, it would also improve the flare and bloom effect .


brianlrichards wrote:
MEC4D wrote:if you point the one lens to the sun you will get red , blue and yellow flare no matter what plus sometimes bloom effect on only half of the panorama, I avoid it, the best result was to point the middle of the cam lenses to the sun, it will eliminate additional flares and bloom effect still you get red lens flare no matter the position of the lens, but the flare is different depends on the vertical position of the sun to the camera , how lower the light source entering the lens how bigger the lens flare

I find that the Theta S is a lot better than the Theta m15 in terms of bloom effects, which could be quite marked on the m15, and are only occassionaly noticeable on the S. I have seen a few more examples on the web from the Theta S now and I think the small bright red flare spot I am talking about is charateristic of this model. Ricoh have improved the len design on the S and I think flare and bloom is more controlled. The small red flare can be edited out on still images, it' s more of an issue on 360 video.
MEC4D
 
Posts: 9
Joined: 12 Nov 2015, 01:20

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby guybirtwhistle » 02 Dec 2015, 08:29

Thank you for posting Brian, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Thought I had a defective camera before reading this post. I've been shooting a 360 web series here in LA and the red dot kept landing on our faces. Had to scrap 4 or 5 takes after the first day because of this. I considered applying a color mask in AfterEffects to take the red out but the tracking would take forever.
Here's the link to the first episode on YouTube. The red dot is prominent in all the exterior car shots and many interior:
https://youtu.be/Zn1RJ-_cvcY
It's going to be a chore compensating for this while filming. Ugh, I was so excited about this camera. Guy
guybirtwhistle
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 02 Dec 2015, 08:13

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby RPASAustralia » 14 Dec 2015, 10:13

MEC4D wrote:Agree , when I shot in a darker place with for example with big opening one the front, I noticed that pointing the front lens toward the light source will create horrible bloom effect and issue after stitching however setting the cam on the side where the both lenses capture the light and dark area the effect is gone, but sometimes I am getting double flares but is easy to edit in still images. I believe the shutter speed is too slow at 1/6400 in some situations like sunny days with the f.2 , but works great indoor or on a cloudy days , they should definitely increase the shutter speed to 1/8000 in still images, it would make the cam so much better and improve the quality and dynamic range and if you going to do outdoor HDR it is a must. Right now the highest dynamic range I am getting indoor is 15-19 where outdoor on a sunny day maximum 4 ending in burned image and there is not a way to get rid of the burn, it would also improve the flare and bloom effect .


brianlrichards wrote:
MEC4D wrote:if you point the one lens to the sun you will get red , blue and yellow flare no matter what plus sometimes bloom effect on only half of the panorama, I avoid it, the best result was to point the middle of the cam lenses to the sun, it will eliminate additional flares and bloom effect still you get red lens flare no matter the position of the lens, but the flare is different depends on the vertical position of the sun to the camera , how lower the light source entering the lens how bigger the lens flare

I find that the Theta S is a lot better than the Theta m15 in terms of bloom effects, which could be quite marked on the m15, and are only occassionaly noticeable on the S. I have seen a few more examples on the web from the Theta S now and I think the small bright red flare spot I am talking about is charateristic of this model. Ricoh have improved the len design on the S and I think flare and bloom is more controlled. The small red flare can be edited out on still images, it' s more of an issue on 360 video.

I have been deliberately putting the camera side to the sun so each reads the same exposure but yes I get two bright red flares in the lower third. Lightroom sorts that out since Im there manually changing the dynamic range etc.
Here in Australia at this time of year outside I am shooting at the fastest shutter speed and lowest iso so no HDR flexibility at all.
RPASAustralia
 
Posts: 8
Joined: 10 Dec 2015, 02:56

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby JJPictures » 20 Dec 2015, 01:41

Im glad I read this post too. I also thought I may have had a defective camera. Interesting flare to be a bright red dot.
JJPictures
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 20 Dec 2015, 01:16

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby FelipeBritto » 15 Feb 2016, 01:20

I have the same problem, it is happen more frequently... Any news about that?

thanks
FelipeBritto
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 15 Feb 2016, 01:18

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby ChrisCain » 17 Feb 2016, 02:55

Same problem here. I turn the camera 90 degrees to the sun and the seams of the stitch disappear, but the red dot remains in the same location in the image.
ChrisCain
 
Posts: 1
Joined: 17 Feb 2016, 02:54

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby DennisMabrey » 17 Feb 2016, 12:51

Just FYI Red Dot flare (among others) is common when shooting slightly offset at the sun. Because it is a fisheye the dot is much more condensed as opposed to normal wide angle lenses like you can see in this article https://photographylife.com/red-dot-flare-issue

The cause of the dot might be either lens flare or sensor flare but either way it is a nuisance.
DennisMabrey
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 21 Jan 2016, 19:47

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby JerryJohnson » 29 Nov 2016, 15:55

I recently purchased Theta SC. I live in a scenic resort area, that outside of the Google Street View car, very little 360┬░has been posted. I tried posting directly to Street View but noticed that the red dot was appearing in my photos. I now have to transfer it to my PC and edit it out and then send it back to my phone to sent it to Street View. It is not lens flare as I understand it. It is a red dot. I do not wish to point my lens at the sun as I like to choose a point of interest as my starting point in my photosphere. Hopefully this problem will be corrected, if possible, in a future firmware update.
JerryJohnson
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Nov 2016, 15:42

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby NFGphoto » 30 Nov 2016, 01:39

JerryJohnson wrote:I now have to transfer it to my PC and edit it out and then send it back to my phone to sent it to Street View. It is not lens flare as I understand it. It is a red dot. I do not wish to point my lens at the sun as I like to choose a point of interest as my starting point in my photosphere. Hopefully this problem will be corrected, if possible, in a future firmware update.


The red dot is lens flare whether you want to call it that or not. It's basically an unavoidable consequence of using the Theta, a combination of small (relatively) cheap lenses and a consumer-grade camera. Personally I don't mind the dot.

I am not expecting a firmware fix because it seems like a minor and fairly difficult problem to solve, but maybe Ricoh will surprise us.

And you can easily change your starting point using both phone and PC tools, so you may want to experiment with the angles after all. Or get better at occluding the sun with nearby trees, lightpoles, buildings, people, large dogs, passing birds or planes, etc.
NFGphoto
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 03:01

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby JerryJohnson » 03 Dec 2016, 04:29

I am not sure why my post was singled out for a response as all of the posts here complain about the red dot flare issue. The reason that I posted at this time is because the Theta SC is a new release but still has the same problem as the previous models. As I live in a resort area surrounded by the ocean there are very few ways that I can block the sun. I was simply expressing my frustration about this problem.
JerryJohnson
 
Posts: 2
Joined: 29 Nov 2016, 15:42

Re: Theta S - Bright Red Lens Flare

Postby NFGphoto » 03 Dec 2016, 05:18

JerryJohnson wrote:I am not sure why my post was singled out for a response as all of the posts here complain about the red dot flare issue.


Because you made statements that were wrong that I could correct, and describing problems I can solve for you. If you just wanted to vent and not solve problems, maybe say so and save me some time. ;)
NFGphoto
 
Posts: 42
Joined: 31 Aug 2016, 03:01


Return to Everything About RICOH THETA



All times are UTC