Theta S - what is DR correction doing exactly?

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta S - what is DR correction doing exactly?

Postby brianlrichards » 10 Nov 2015, 16:12

Using the Theta S in Auto mode you can select the image correction method from noise reduction or DR correction. While shooting outside with DR correction On and the preview Off, I accidentally set exposure compensation to +2ev, which resulted in a much lower shutter speed that usual. The results I got were very strange as I was using a pole and there was some movement while shooting. DR correction appears to be using 4 shots as I can see a series of ghost images due to motion. Can anyone confirm the number and relative exposure of these shots, it looks like the camera is doing some sort of HDR although the outcome is not so apparent on normal correctly exposed shots.
brianlrichards

Re: Theta S - what is DR correction doing exactly?

Postby brianlrichards » 14 Nov 2015, 03:48

It appears that Noise Reduction on the Theta S also takes multiple images, probably 4. So again taking images while moving the camera can result in blur or ghosting. So the lesson is to only use NR and DR when the camera is fixed or on a tripod, unless you want that effect. This should be in the Manual.
brianlrichards

Postby MEC4D » 20 Nov 2015, 19:12

The DR take pictures with different exposures and tone map the final image with a balance between the light vs shadow areas , sort of low range HDR process since the 2 lenses have always fixed exposure , as stated in the manual both NR and DR need to be used with tripod for the best final result .
I shot outdoor with noise reduction and noticed 4 exposures when the car moved in the scene.
Also noticed that with DR filter the colors was less brilliant and more noisy when shooting indoor, but the noise reduction works so good as long nothing moving in your scene.

brianlrichards wrote:Using the Theta S in Auto mode you can select the image correction method from noise reduction or DR correction. While shooting outside with DR correction On and the preview Off, I accidentally set exposure compensation to +2ev, which resulted in a much lower shutter speed that usual. The results I got were very strange as I was using a pole and there was some movement while shooting. DR correction appears to be using 4 shots as I can see a series of ghost images due to motion. Can anyone confirm the number and relative exposure of these shots, it looks like the camera is doing some sort of HDR although the outcome is not so apparent on normal correctly exposed shots.
MEC4D

Postby PhilippeCasteleyn » 23 Dec 2015, 14:27

I still do not know what the letters "DR" stand for in photography. I searched the net for 5 minutes.
PhilippeCasteleyn

Postby mbirth » 23 Dec 2015, 17:18

PhilippeCasteleyn wrote:I still do not know what the letters "DR" stand for in photography. I searched the net for 5 minutes.

Dynamic Range … like in HDR - High Dynamic Range.
mbirth

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA