Beating the 25m limit...

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Beating the 25m limit...

Postby BenjaminFreedman » 16 Jul 2016, 20:08

Howdy...

I need to record for longer than the 25m timeout allows...

It seems the only way I can do this is to record the output of the HDMI from the camera, which works great, except that the resulting files (recorded by an ATOMOS Ninja) aren't able to be converted by the Theta App (to convert from the dual fisheye into the rectangular panorama view)...

I have tried using HandBrake and VLC to convert the files to an MP4 file similar to the native files of the Theta S, but I keep getting the "Failed to Convert Video" Error....

So, it seems I have 2 options:

1) Does anyone know a way to convert video so that the Theta App will recognize it?

or

2) Does anyone know of another program that will convert the dual-fisheye video to the rectangular format?

Thanks! Really appreciate the response!

Best,

Ben
BenjaminFreedman

Re: Beating the 25m limit...

Postby BenjaminFreedman » 19 Jul 2016, 18:17

Looks like it can't be done....

Tried outputting via HDMI, but the camera shuts down after 45m.... and then you can't use the native stitching software... You have to use something like Autopano....

So..... I took it back to the store today and purchased the Kodak SP360 4K dual camera pack...

Best,

Ben
BenjaminFreedman

Postby HonbanGaan » 20 Jul 2016, 03:53

45 min stop seems to be the limit of your hdmi recorder or because your storage is full?
my hdmi recorder can record over 3 hours video with theta s.
however, stitching is still a problem.
for your first option, it means you have to hack the MP4 file generated by theta s.
for the second option, you need to do a very precise camera calibration of the fisheye lense of theta s.
HonbanGaan

Postby WalkerHicks » 25 Jan 2018, 20:07

What I do is set a timer and try to find a moment near the 25 minute marker to stop/start recording again. You'll have multiple files which you'll then have to blend using the Theta app, then merge using an app like MPEG StreamClip. If you're uploading to YT you'll also need to append the metadata using the Spacial Media Metadata Injector app. It's not the most elegant solution, but it's effective.
WalkerHicks

Postby codetricity » 26 Jan 2018, 21:35

The THETA V roadmap below indicates USB data transfer v1.0 and USB data transfer v2.0 coming in the next several months. I believe this may allow video to be stored to an external USB storage device. I don't have any additional information on this, but it's what I suspect and hope.
https://theta360.com/en/about/theta/v/roadmap.html
codetricity

Postby DonaGilbert » 12 Dec 2018, 07:01

Even though the procedures may sound a bit time to consume, I would say that this is the best method one can adapt in order to beat the limited recording time period. This way we can prolong the time to our desired levels.
internet providers for my address
DonaGilbert

Postby angelinjolie » 29 Dec 2018, 11:52

There is a problem in transferring larger files from any location to some other location. But this problem can be solved using upload a file to Google Drive Trinity Builders Reviews . By integrating the cloud storage services, Google now lets you attach files as large as 10GB.
angelinjolie

Postby PrimaKnh » 11 Jan 2019, 11:06

Here mentioned about beating the 25m limit. I read the whole article I didn't www.touramsterdamprivate.com get a clear idea about the topic. Please mention the details clearly. I hope you will take my request. Thank you for being part of the site.
PrimaKnh

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA