The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta S firmware update

Postby MobileCamera » 17 Dec 2015, 08:33

I am trying to install the latest Theta S 1.21 firmware but it just fails (e.g. the red LED blinks). Has someone similar problems or is there a trick to get the firmware update working?
MobileCamera

Re: Theta S firmware update

Postby dicek » 17 Dec 2015, 09:10

Am failing with "FUPE0000002, FUP"...

https://www.evernote.com/l/AAbVqe-rgkFNS5xRckcv_8MIaUVHIbA3YMg
dicek

Postby codetricity » 17 Dec 2015, 15:04

I have tested the firmware upgrade and cannot replicate the problem.

I am running the newest version, 1.21.

When I access the firmware upgrade from my Windows App, I see this:
I then unplug the USB cable and plug it back in. The blue lights flash for less than a minute.

Here is my setup:
- Windows 10, 64 bit
- THETA app 2.0.0

I have the camera plugged into a USB 3 port on my main motherboard, the back panel, not the front panel header port. I'm not sure if it makes a difference. In my experience developing Android apps, the USB cable and the port did make a difference. I have a powered USB hub, meaning my USB hub is drawing power from an external source.

Not sure if the USB cable and port makes a difference, but might be worth a shot plugging it directly into the motherboard rear panel.

If you're running Windows 10, you could also try updating the RICOH App and Adobe Air to the latest versions. I just updated Air prior to my firmware upgrade

I just spoke to jcasman and he updated his THETA S firmware using a Mac. So, we've verified that the update works on both Windows and Mac.

Here's some information.
https://theta360.com/en/support/manual/content/pc/pc_05.html

In the past, when I've worked on mobile development projects, I've had problems with USB cables and USB header ports.

I suggest the following:
- plug the USB cable directly into the motherboard USB back panel port. Do not use a USB hub or the front panel headers of your computer
- try different USB cables
- switch between the USB 2.0 port and the USB 3.0 port on your computer

The THETA uses USB 2.0, but I have mine plugged into a 3.0 port and it works fine. It should work fine, but YMMV.
codetricity

Postby jcasman » 17 Dec 2015, 23:39

Just to add to what codericity said: I first tried it on my iMac and got the same error message as dicek. But then I plugged it into a Mac Air, and I was able to update my RICOH THETA S firmware no problem. I use a short USB splitter cable on my iMac, and sometimes connections are flakey. In my case, I believe that was the problem.
jcasman

Postby dicek » 18 Dec 2015, 08:12

I've totally completed updating the firmware. Let me also post my experience here.

- Mac OS X, 10.11.2
- THETA Mac Application, 2.0.0
- Adobe Air 19 # DO NOT USE 20, if you've already upgraded to 20, get the previous one from https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html
- THETA S, Firmware version: 01.11 (previous) to 01.21 (new)

Once I've tried to update the firmware, as I noted earlier it failed with:

After I've looked through this thread, tried to change the USB port to another one and it just worked smoothly then.
dicek

Postby PeZiK » 18 Dec 2015, 12:02

Hi all, I just received my camera on 17.dec - and I've been having a massive trouble to upgrade the firmware.

I had some trouble getting the camera recognized by my computer in the first place - but I was able to get it to connect on my third computer.

I have transferred the firmware to the camera, then I unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in. Now I'm getting five short beeps and constant blinking red light.

The camera still works, but with constant blinking red light.

I've repeated the procedure many times, even on another computers...always the same result.

Is there a hardware reset/factory defaults? I've tried the holding down the power button for longer than 8 seconds - but it doesn't fix the blinking red light.

Thanks.
PeZiK

Postby PeZiK » 18 Dec 2015, 13:35

FIXED!!

1. I deleted the DCIM folder on the camera ( After I made a backup!).
2. Ran the Firmware update.
3. Unplugged the USB cable.
4. Plugged the USB cable back in.
5. Success! ( Blinking blue status lights ).

The firmware update took only seconds - not minutes.

Hope this will help someone in similar situation.

P.
PeZiK

Postby codetricity » 18 Dec 2015, 18:58

Thank you for sharing this experience. It may help other people. Although I didn't need to delete the DCIM folder, it is good to know that it helped you.

The earlier tip about downgrading to Adobe Air 19 is also important. As I don't have easy access to a Mac, this is difficult for me to test.

I'm surprised that people have had to use different computers and different USB ports. This is useful to know.

Thanks.
codetricity

Postby frank_Neme1 » 21 Dec 2015, 07:43

My theta appears to be bricked.

I just tried to update the firmware (1.21) in my new Theta S, but now when I turn it on it beeps and flashes red for a few seconds before turning itself off. (I'm on OSX, with Air 19 and the latest Ricoh App).

If I hold down the wifi/photo button as I press the power button, it's able to turn on and stay on, but it still flashes it's red light and refuses to take photos or videos.

When I attempt to re-update the firmware through the app - I'm told that the firmware is current. It's my best guess that something went wrong during the firmware update, but there's no way to force it to attempt to reinstall.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if there is a factory reset built into the device? Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the firmware version number so it thinks it needs a more recent update?

I've tried the things mentioned above to no avail. I'm open to any ideas.
frank_Neme1

Postby frank_Neme1 » 22 Dec 2015, 00:54

Just to update - I spoke with Ricoh's customer support. They don't even have a Theta S themselves, so beyond their suggestion to turn it off and on again - I'm gonna have to return it.

The lesson here is to be very careful with the firmware updates, as they apparently haven't designed a factory reset.
frank_Neme1

Postby MatthewW » 24 Dec 2015, 17:11

I had these same issues (same error message, fast beeps following by blinking red light).

My Theta S' battery was recently depleted, so figured it might have been unwilling to perform a firmware update on low battery. Many normal cameras check battery level on updates, since they happen without a cable attached.

Charged it overnight, tried again first thing in the morning with the same computer/cable/USB port, and it worked just fine.

Something to try if you're having issues!
MatthewW

Postby MobileCamera » 26 Dec 2015, 08:29

Same here. After fully charging the battery the update finally worked.
MobileCamera

Postby aitriago » 26 Dec 2015, 21:27

Yes, MatthewW's answer is correct.

I was facing the same red light issue, until I fully charged my Ricoh Theta S. Then I connect the camera to the USB, and the firmware updated.

Thanks for sharing the correct answer in the forum.
aitriago

Postby wmillermn » 01 Jan 2016, 18:38

I continue to have the same problem. It says it is downloading the firmware to the camera but when I unplug and replug the USB I get a constant flashing red light on the shutter button. The camera otherwise seems to work. If I run the firmware update again, it stills sees the old firmware on the camera. The camera is fully charged. I have tried three different computers (two macs and one windows) and all USB ports. Same problem. Any other suggestions?
wmillermn

Postby ryans » 14 Jan 2016, 06:08

frank_Neme1 wrote:My theta appears to be bricked.

I just tried to update the firmware (1.21) in my new Theta S, but now when I turn it on it beeps and flashes red for a few seconds before turning itself off. (I'm on OSX, with Air 19 and the latest Ricoh App).

If I hold down the wifi/photo button as I press the power button, it's able to turn on and stay on, but it still flashes it's red light and refuses to take photos or videos.

When I attempt to re-update the firmware through the app - I'm told that the firmware is current. It's my best guess that something went wrong during the firmware update, but there's no way to force it to attempt to reinstall.

Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone know if there is a factory reset built into the device? Does anyone know if there is a way to modify the firmware version number so it thinks it needs a more recent update?

I've tried the things mentioned above to no avail. I'm open to any ideas.

Exact same problem here. I followed instructions perfectly, and said success at the end. Went to start and same issue as above. I've tried everything, removed DCIM folder, nothing. Tried on Windows 10 PC, on my Latest MAC with downgraded Air, Charged last night reattempted this morning, every single USB port on both computers (and two different cables) nothing.

If they had a new release of the firmware at least i'd have a chance to upgrade it, seeing as how there is no way apparently to force downgrade too factory specs.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Regards,
Ryan
ryans

Postby codetricity » 14 Jan 2016, 14:22

Are you running the desktop app version 2.0.1 released on December 25, 2015 as a bug fix for Mac? (I don't have a Mac)

https://theta360.com/en/support/download/pcmac/
codetricity

Postby codetricity » 19 Jan 2016, 01:31

I just spoke to someone that had this problem for several weeks and fixed it. he's writing up the exact steps, but here is a summary.

Problem description:
All blue flashing lights, then red and a triple bee-bee-bee audible sound, then the camera turns off. process takes 3-5 seconds. It happens every time.

Solution:
- Camera is off, not connected to USB, and is fully charged.
- Make sure Photos doesn't start automatically
- Press and hold WiFi and Shutter Button (camera is still off), plug camera into Mac.
- Camera should mount as RICOHDCX. Open the folder in finder
- Go into the folder and backup the two folders DCIM and MISC onto your Mac
- After you backup your data, delete DCIM, MISC (suggest you delete your trash)
- Unplug camera and turn off
- Start RICOH desktop app. Make sure it is the newest version. In this case, 2.0.1 released on Dec 25th. Note that there was a bug in 2.0.0 for Mac.
- Select firmware upgrade from the file menu.
- Attempt firmware upgrade again (it may fail, saying you already have the newest version. In this case, the person already had 01.21 and the upgrade did not take place)
- disconnect camera from USB cable
- turn off and on

At this point, the camera started working. Hopefully, we'll get a better description of the sequence with the sequence of lights that flashed.
codetricity

Postby jcasman » 19 Jan 2016, 02:25

I was able to unbrick my RICOH THETA S, and I’m sharing some of my results here.

Background: I was running the RICOH THETA app version 2.0.0. This version has a known bug with the firmware upgrade. Unfortunately, I was unaware of this. I updated my firmware through the MacOS X RICOH THETA app to 1.21. Soon thereafter, my RICOH THETA S would not boot up. All of the blue lights on the front would blink, then a red light would come on, and a triple bee-bee-beep would happen, and it would shut down in about 3-5 seconds. Over and over.

First I thought it was not charged. I tried charging, but the red charging light would only stay on for about 20 seconds, maybe a little longer.

Then I began imagining I had dropped it or something, maybe it was actually broken. But seeing these posts here and talking with codetricity, I realized it was bricked. If I could update the firmware, maybe we could get it to boot up again.

Steps to fix: First step, press and hold wifi button on the side and the shutter button on the front. While holding them, press the power button. Mine booted, with a front red light coming on (I think), and with the front wifi, video and LIVE blue lights blinking continuously.

Second step: Press and hold the wifi and shutter buttons, and DO NOT press power. Attach to the Mac while holding the two buttons down. (Yes, this is cumbersome.) I then connected to my MacOS X Macbook Air via USB and made sure I could see it as an attached device.

If Photos comes up automatically, that may be an issue. Go into Photos, under the Import tab, unclick Open Photos for this device. Then unplug and plug back in.

If you see the RICOH THETA as a device, it’ll show up in Finder as RICODCX. Also, the front red light on the camera stays on continuously at this point (I think). Double click to open RICODCX. There should be two files, DCIM and MISC. Delete both. I believe this gets rid of a corrupted file. I do not know this for a fact, though.

Third Step: Unplug, turn off, and then reattach to the Mac while holding the wifi and shutter buttons down at the same time.

At some point here, under RICOH THETA please check for newest version and update the RICOH THETA app to 2.0.1.

Final step: Now, in the RICOH THETA app, under File, run Firmware Update. Here’s the interesting part. I went through the firmware update. If the camera is not connected (or not connected properly) you will get an error message. I was nicely connected at this point.

The updater told me I was already running 1.21 and the newest version is the same version, 1.21, therefore no need to update. This felt like a dead end. But try ignoring this. I thought it would not upgrade or reinstall the firmware, but… after unplugging and restarting, my RICOH THETA S is healthy. Attaches to iPhone, takes pictures, everything.

Good luck!
jcasman

Postby JackL » 29 Jan 2016, 20:20

Help!! I tried everything on this thread. Nothings work.

Yesterday i tried to do the firmware update and instead of flashing blue the shutter led flashed red.

After that, the Camera didn't work anymore. I get the 5 beep and the cam shut down.

I use Windows 7 and 10 with differnt USB port with Ricoh Thetah 2.0.0 and nothing work
I tried on Mac with RT 2.0.1 and still the same.

I did everything that this thread suggest and still nothing.

So now when i start the Caméra the 5 beep and shutdown still happen and when i hold the shutter and wifi button + power the camera stay on with the shutter light flashing red and i can't take photo nor video anymore.

So i just got the camera yesterday and now i can use it anymore and i was not sure about doing the upgrade but the website really suggest it so i was pretty sure nothing could go wrong ???? If there is problems like this they should document it on their website or not suggest to do the firmware update the way they do...

Does anyboady can help me ????
JackL

Postby JimmyGunawan » 24 Mar 2016, 17:56

I've got similar issue :( and the Ricoh Theta S simply stops working. What I did wrong is trying to update the firmware when the battery is nearly dead.

Previously I was only getting red blinking. But following the steps above, I tried plugging the camera while holding Power + Wifi button to Mac/PC slot and this results in constant red light LED, seems like charging, but not really. I have it plugged over night and still the same. I cannot power it on. Computer won't recognized the device either.

The battery does not seem to be charging the Ricoh camera anymore.

Maybe the system was frozen in the inside? The Theta S does not have the reset button, unlike previous version.

Still no solution.
JimmyGunawan

Postby JosMonteiro » 24 Mar 2016, 19:41

Hi

I have this problem

Imageerror by José Monteiro, no Flickr

I have change USB port but dont solve the problem.

How to solve this??
JosMonteiro

Postby RadoGadoczi » 24 Mar 2016, 20:08

I have same problem!
RadoGadoczi

Postby JimmyGunawan » 24 Mar 2016, 23:39

I am really upset and unhappy at the moment, is this a worldwide issue with Theta S and USB thing?

My Ricoh is still bricked.

The only think I know it's still possible recovering from comma is that it is either;:
- Blinking rapidly in red
- Constantly showing red light

I think there are 2 issues here that I learn:
1) Never upgrade firmware with low battery(!). This Theta S has weird design that it is not really charging when plugged, depending on the mode. I think in order to complete charging, it needs to be unplugged from USB.
2) USB connection has issue. 9 out of 10.

Rapid red light blinking happens when Ricoh is updating, however, unstable USB also indicate this issue.

So far, I am plugging my Theta S to computer hoping it will recover. It is still not detected. It makes strange buzzing sound.

Ricoh has pretty bad customer service. A bit hard to reach somewhat.... Anybody from Ricoh actually here?

Need Japanese customer service... Might need to go to Japan to exchange this.
JimmyGunawan

Postby codetricity » 25 Mar 2016, 01:38

I wrote a blog post about the upgrade process.

http://theta360.guide/blog/camera/2016/03/24/firmware-upgrade.html

The camera will not charge reliably from your computer. You need to plug it into a wall charger capable of at least 1.5amp current. Verify that the battery is 100 percent charged. I don't know if the app tell you the charge, but you can easily pull the info from

Code: Select all
http://192.168.1.1/osc/state

The batteryLevel should be 1. If it is below .6, don't upgrade your firmware until you have it charged up.

You should not see a red light blinking or hear a buzzing sound. You should contact customer service.

Note, I don't work for RICOH, but I've heard of other people with the problem. As far as I know, there is no factory reset to replace corrupted firmware.
codetricity

Postby RadoGadoczi » 25 Mar 2016, 15:33

Adress:
http://192.168.1.1/osc/state

dont work show only:

{"name":"unknown","state":"error","error":{"code":"unknownCommand","message":"Command executed is unknown."}}

work only adress:
http://192.168.1.1/osc/info

show this:

{"manufacturer":"RICOH","model":"RICOH THETA S","serialNumber":"00130611","firmwareVersion":"01.30","supportUrl":"https://theta360.com/en/support/","endpoints":{"httpPort":80,"httpUpdatesPort":80},"gps":false,"gyro":false,"uptime":58,"api":["/osc/info","/osc/state","/osc/checkForUpdates","/osc/commands/execute","/osc/commands/status"]}
RadoGadoczi

Postby JosMonteiro » 25 Mar 2016, 17:58

I have the batery ful but i have allways the problem whit USB port.

Someone know who to solve this?

Tks in adavance
JosMonteiro

Postby codetricity » 25 Mar 2016, 18:26

The /osc/info command is a GET command. The /osc/state command is a POST command.

You can force curl to use POST with -X POST.

$ curl -X POST http://192.168.1.1/osc/state
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100   212  100   212    0     0   1350      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--  1503
{"fingerprint":"FIG_0003","
state":{
"sessionId":"SID_0000",
"batteryLevel":1.0,
"storageChanged":false,
"_captureStatus":"idle",
"_recordedTime":0,
"_recordableTime":0,
"_latestFileUri":"",
"_batteryState":"disconnect"}}
codetricity

Postby codetricity » 25 Mar 2016, 18:34

@JosMonteiro
Try a different USB cable and a different USB port on your computer.
Sometimes the connector on a computer or cable is loose.

Also, the front ports of a computer are usually taken from header cables and have a greater chance of failure than the rear panel USB ports that are coming directly from the motherboard.

Can you reliably mount the THETA as a hard disk and transfer files back and forth with no problem?
for the test, press the WiFi and Shutter button down simultaneously while plugging the THETA into the USB cable (do not press power). Can you transfer the large files with no problem? Make sure you unmount the THETA like a normal USB disk or the disk will get corrupted over time.
codetricity

Postby JosMonteiro » 25 Mar 2016, 19:12

codetricity wrote:@JosMonteiro
Try a different USB cable and a different USB port on your computer.
Sometimes the connector on a computer or cable is loose.

Also, the front ports of a computer are usually taken from header cables and have a greater chance of failure than the rear panel USB ports that are coming directly from the motherboard.

Allready done but dont solve the problem

codetricity wrote:Can you reliably mount the THETA as a hard disk and transfer files back and forth with no problem?

No! for mount i have to do this "press the WiFi and Shutter button down simultaneously while plugging the THETA into the USB cable" Is that normal?

But one time munt i can unmunt whitout problem

codetricity wrote:for the test, press the WiFi and Shutter button down simultaneously while plugging the THETA into the USB cable (do not press power).

Yes. works but i can not made the update still the same problem whit USB port´s

codetricity wrote:Can you transfer the large files with no problem? Make sure you unmount the THETA like a normal USB disk or the disk will get corrupted over time.

Yes i can transfer files from camera

codetricity wrote:Make sure you unmount the THETA like a normal USB disk or the disk will get corrupted over time.

But is supposed every time i plugin the camera be mount Right? Why it does not happen? I have to "press the WiFi and Shutter button down simultaneously while plugging the THETA into the USB cable" is tha correct?

Tks for help e sorry my bad englisch :-/
JosMonteiro

Postby codetricity » 25 Mar 2016, 20:17

I'm on Windows 10, 64 bit. When I plug the camera into a USB port, it automatically mounts as a hard disk. I'm not sure if this is the "correct" behavior, but this is what happens for me.

Maybe the RICOH support can help?

One thing to try is to backup all your data from the camera onto your computer and then DELETE the files on the camera when you have it mounted as a hard disk. It's possible that a file is corrupted on the camera and is preventing the firmware upgrade. Once you've verified that you have all your media backed up, delete the files on the camera and reboot the camera, then try the firmware upgrade again.

If the firmware itself is corrupted, you'll need to contact RICOH. If the USB port on your camera is not fully functional, you'll also need to contact RICOH.
codetricity

Next

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA