The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Using VR Headset

Postby Barone » 13 Jan 2016, 15:52

Hello everybody, i'm just wondering how to view a 360┬░photo or movie made with the Theta S using a VR headset with an iPhone in it.
Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Barone

Re: Using VR Headset

Postby Svendus » 13 Jan 2016, 16:20

If you upload the Photo to Google Street View Google will automatic create this possibility
here are the i Phone hand held [/b]

Click the image to see a small Reflector Recording (take the Video full screen)
Note! when the Video ends scroll down an read more about Google street View , RICOH THETA S and even more
Svendus

Postby Cottonpickers » 16 Jan 2016, 19:56

You need to take a pic using the theta s. Then turn wifi on. then import it into the theta app on the iPhone. Then when it shows the 360 pic on the iPhone you can tap on the iphones screen. This will bring up the menu at the bottom and you can select the picture of a TV to tell it to show as dual screen VR. Pop into google cardboard now.
In future you can see this pic in the cardboard by going to the theta app on the iPhone and choosing App from the 'Album' Screen. Don't choose photos as you cant set it to VR mode on those.
Cottonpickers

Postby Svendus » 18 Jan 2016, 14:51

Thank you Cottonpickers
this is what you mean the APP Tap

It would be nice if you also were able to import from Dropbox and iCloud Photos
but that is maybe on the to do list :mrgreen:
Svendus

Postby bluezdawg » 18 Jan 2016, 22:24

I have uploaded and viewed Theta M15 360 photos and view them on my Samsung Gear VR (Oculus) headset with my Galaxy S6. Just need to move the photos from pictures to the Oculus > 360 photos My Images (you'll need to create the my images folder)
here is a link that explains in detail. Fun stuff!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRHcFzx6O9o
bluezdawg

Postby DennisMabrey » 21 Jan 2016, 19:58

Just FYI, the Oculus store for the Samsung Gear VR has a Theta S VR app. It doesn't take video but allows you to snap stills and instantly see them.

Also if you just use the regular app to take stills and download them you can browse and view them using the Oculus 360 photos app. You can also view video using the Oculus 360 video app but you need to convert the video first (which you can do with the theta S phone app).
DennisMabrey

Postby RalfSilvius » 26 Jan 2016, 21:05

I downloaded Kolor Eyes for free in the App Store.
http://itunes.apple.com/app/kolor-eyes-360-video-player/id551037018?mt=8

Then I connected my iPhone with my MacBook Pro, uploaded my 360 images and video through iTunes, selected them in the Kolor Eyes app and viewed them in my VRBox/Cardboard by tapping on the glasses icon.

Works like a charm!

Manual for uploading images and video through iTunes:
http://www.kolor.com/wiki-en/action/view/Kolor_Eyes_iOS_-_User_Manual#Local_video_gallery
RalfSilvius

Postby SimonStern » 28 Jan 2016, 21:59

Is there any way for me to share my photos to people, and have them view with a VR experience? Other than Street View?
SimonStern

Postby DennisMabrey » 28 Jan 2016, 22:34

SimonStern wrote:Is there any way for me to share my photos to people, and have them view with a VR experience? Other than Street View?

Depends on the VR headset they are using I guess. The Oculus Store has an app called "Oculus 360 photos". If you send them the equirectangular jpg file from the Theta they can easily view the photo (at least with the Samsung Gear VR). Works very well.
DennisMabrey

Postby SimonStern » 28 Jan 2016, 23:00

Anything for "cardboard?" Anything that is both iOS and Android compatible?
SimonStern

Postby DennisMabrey » 29 Jan 2016, 17:39

SimonStern wrote:Anything for "cardboard?" Anything that is both iOS and Android compatible?

Have you tried looking? I went to the Google Play store and typed in "cardboard equirectangular" and a number of apps showed up that appear to do what you want.

I don't own an iPhone but I assume you could search on their app store and look for "vr equirectangular" and find something similar.
DennisMabrey

Postby esmadja » 06 Feb 2016, 01:00

When I look at a video from the Theta S app on my iphone 6 and i click on the TV icon the choice I get is different then the one posted by Svendus above.
I get
Normal Screen
2 screens

where "2 Screens" basicly shows the rear camera on the left side and the front camera on the right side of the screen. so no VR for me :(
esmadja

Postby DuongOceanVan » 07 Feb 2016, 23:41

Same thing happens to me. It only shows Normal or 2 Screens option when I tap on the TV icon. My friend has the Theta app and it shows the 2 VR options. Is it because the recent app update remove the VR options? Any help?
DuongOceanVan

Postby dstromart » 08 Feb 2016, 03:49

Same question/issue as the 2 posters above me. How do ios users view videos in Cardboard? My only 2 options are "Normal Screen" and "2 Screens". The VR options are there when viewing photos.
dstromart

Postby JohnFriedman » 10 Feb 2016, 05:18

I just purchased a Motoraux VR headset to use with my iPhone's and Theta S content. With the Theta S app I can view the photos properly under App and option for VR split screen. For 360 video playback on iOS I installed the free Homido Player app and used iTunes to add my personal Theta S videos under the Homido App management. It plays video perfectly fine.
JohnFriedman

Postby dstromart » 11 Feb 2016, 01:01

Thanks John! I tried the Homido App with Google Cardboard and my iPhone and I was able to view the video I filmed w/ the Theta S in VR. Except I didn't need to load the video through iTunes. I used the Theta app to do the normal conversion then opened the Homido App & was able to access it in my Camera Roll.
dstromart

Postby tosolini » 19 Feb 2016, 08:21

When I demo the full 360 workflow from capture to VR, I use a free site called Spherecast. The developer has kindly created a free uploader that will process your equirectangular image and return a URL with your split image. Give it a try. No apps required:
http://viewer.spherecast.org/upload

Paolo Tosolini
tosolini

Postby procolocowork » 12 Mar 2016, 03:44

is it possible to convert a theta s movie so it can be viewed as a 360 movie in Gear VR w Occulus Video or Milk VR? It seems there is no easy workflow for this.
procolocowork

Postby ChrisEvans » 18 Mar 2016, 12:47

Here's the workflow for Theta S Videos to GearVR (for Windows)

Download The Theta Windows App from https://theta360.com/en/support/download/

Connect the Galaxy to the Theta S using Wifi and use the Galaxy App to import the videos onto the Galaxy

Connect the Galaxy to PC using USB. Use the file manager to find the theta Movies folder (Samsung>Movies>Ricoh Theta) to confirm your movies are there.

Run the windows Theta App and use File>Open to open your movie in the Samsung/movies/ricoh Theta folder (Drag and Drop option in the app doesn't appear to work for movies).

A convert window will open. Specify where you want the file written (It won't let you choose a folder in the Samsung, so I used downloads). Save the convert.

Go to your save folder and change the filename to something that ends in _360.mp4 (eg. myfirstvideo_360.mp4). Copy/move the file to Samsung>Movies. Windows 10 offers to convert when copying. Don't.

After conversion, plug the galaxy into the VR Gear and open Occulus Video (NOT Occulus 360 Video).
Choose my videos from the menu.
Enjoy!
ChrisEvans

Postby byTremayne » 23 Mar 2016, 04:23

So, according to Svendus' screenshot there he's got the "VR single lens and VR twin lens" options.
I understand that's on an iPhone but is there the option of VR single lens to view photos or videos straight from an Android phone?
I like the gyro movement my phone allows but my Theta app only allows "Viewing in VR View" which is the same as twin lens (btw it's Theta S app version 1.5.0 - the latest)
Maybe there's another viewing app for Android that will let me view in VR single lens view? I don't want to have to upload to YouTube or FB each time to see in VR single lens.
Cheers in advance for any help or solutions thrown my way.
byTremayne

Postby JaeShin » 26 Apr 2016, 17:54

ChrisEvans wrote:Here's the workflow for Theta S Videos to GearVR (for Windows)

Download The Theta Windows App from https://theta360.com/en/support/download/

Connect the Galaxy to the Theta S using Wifi and use the Galaxy App to import the videos onto the Galaxy

Connect the Galaxy to PC using USB. Use the file manager to find the theta Movies folder (Samsung>Movies>Ricoh Theta) to confirm your movies are there.

Run the windows Theta App and use File>Open to open your movie in the Samsung/movies/ricoh Theta folder (Drag and Drop option in the app doesn't appear to work for movies).

A convert window will open. Specify where you want the file written (It won't let you choose a folder in the Samsung, so I used downloads). Save the convert.

Go to your save folder and change the filename to something that ends in _360.mp4 (eg. myfirstvideo_360.mp4). Copy/move the file to Samsung>Movies. Windows 10 offers to convert when copying. Don't.

After conversion, plug the galaxy into the VR Gear and open Occulus Video (NOT Occulus 360 Video).
Choose my videos from the menu.
Enjoy!

Are the videos clear and sharp? I am using this process, however, closer objects are somewhat clear and in focus, but anything further than 15ft, it is blurry. Anyone having better sharp videos for GearVR?
JaeShin

Postby Yurias » 26 Jul 2016, 03:44

Do you feel hurt in your nose ?
Yurias

Postby Massimo » 26 Jul 2016, 17:13

Hi windows mobile users! ...and to see PHOTOS on Lumia or other windows phone?
To see video with a VR I use Video360┬░ win app (Video downloaded in a local smartphone folder from YT) but it has issues with Theta photos...
Any solutions?!
M.
Massimo

Postby Massimo » 26 Jul 2016, 17:48

tosolini wrote:When I demo the full 360 workflow from capture to VR, I use a free site called Spherecast. The developer has kindly created a free uploader that will process your equirectangular image and return a URL with your split image. Give it a try. No apps required:
http://viewer.spherecast.org/upload

Paolo Tosolini

Hi Paolo,
I used your link, with a win-pc it's ok, but if I copy url by sphcst.com on my Lumia 925 photos I have issues (a black block and not good viewing...) and with a 'VR lens' image is no spherical...
Massimo

Postby PeterStevenson » 15 Feb 2017, 09:52

When viewing images from the Theta S on an iPhone, using a headset, do you need the twin lens view or can you also use the single lens or normal view ? I am editing my images in Photoshop ,embedding the metadata in the file, but afterwards the image can only be viewed in the Theta app as a normal screen .I havent yet got a VR headset so cannot experiment.Any help much appreciated !

Peter Stevenson :D
PeterStevenson

Postby jcasman » 22 Feb 2017, 23:47

Peter,
VR goggles require stereo images, so it requires a split view, one for each eye, to create the stereo effect. That's the twin lens view you refer to. Just one quick comment, maybe too obvious: You can get Google Cardboard, or something similar, slide in your iPhone, and many apps (including RICOH apps, WebVR images, more) will allow you to toggle back and forth between single and stereo, so you can test your images easily.
--Jesse
jcasman

Postby WilliamFreeman » 01 Jun 2017, 18:14

Ideally, I would like to send left / right images (VR) to other smart phone users (e.g. guests at a wedding where I taken theta sc pics or clips) so they can view with their own vr viewers (google cardboard, etc). I'm new to this but I couldn't find answers.
WilliamFreeman

Postby jcasman » 08 Jun 2017, 22:59

William,

Lots of great solutions for uploading 360 images and viewing in a browser, on a mobile device or in VR goggles. You do not need to manually edit the image. The service that you use will do it for you.

Have you heard of WebVR? Or GoogleVR? They will display 360 images and add a small little "goggles" image at the bottom that you can select and it will split the screen for use in VR goggles. See the bottom right of this image:

Here's a quick tutorial for uploading VR content and creating your own VR gallery. You might really like trying it. How To: Create a THETA Image VR Gallery with A-Frame

If you try it, I'd love to hear how it goes!

Hope this helps,
Jesse
jcasman

Postby ImranMughal » 27 Jul 2017, 09:30

I agreed with DennisMabrey Now I am going to read reviews of Oculus 360 photo. this solution will help us a lot . thanks DennisMabrey
ImranMughal

Postby arthurmovie » 10 Nov 2018, 12:36

Thanks for all your replies. I have been watching movies and all with VR Headsets using the app Mediabox HD iOS on my iPhone. But never tried to view 360 photos or movies made by Theta S. Thank you
arthurmovie

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA