The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Edit Theta 360 video's

Postby samcornelis » 25 Apr 2015, 15:24

Hi,

I tried to edit Theta 360 video's in Adobe Premiere Pro (add titles, cut clips, ...), experimented with stuff from After Effects - and it works great.
I can play the resulting video in 360° with the Ricoh Theta app on my desktop (Mac), but somehow, I can't find a way to share it online, as I can do it with the original clip on e.g. Youtube.

I guess that it must be that during the rendering from Adobe Premiere, some metadata is lost in the process.

Any ideas how to fix this?
Thanks.
Sam

Update: it does work.
Inject the resulting, edited video with 360 metadata, following this procedure:
https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en
Upload the video. And your edited video can be shared via Youtube.
samcornelis

Re: Edit Theta 360 video's

Postby stroker » 01 May 2015, 11:16

Sam, when you edited the video in premiere pro and after effects what render settings did you use to output the video?
stroker

Postby samcornelis » 03 May 2015, 12:04

samcornelis

Postby stroker » 05 May 2015, 15:25

Thanks Sam, i've got it working in After Effects and Premiere Pro now, cheers
stroker

Postby NimaDehghani » 20 Oct 2015, 01:51

Hi
Have you ever tried adding other videos or images to the videos in premier?
I tried to add some texts or other images ( not theta video)
but when I export and inject and upload, youtube doesnt recognise it as a 360 video...

any thoughts?
NimaDehghani

Postby Rob986 » 12 Dec 2015, 03:26

After converting the video with the Ricoh Theta software, you can edit with just about any editing program, but you must save it as a .MP4 file, then inject the metadata back into it to share on such sites as YouTube.
Rob986

Postby RebrandGroup » 21 Dec 2015, 18:32

I just got the Theta S this past weekend and I want to post a video that I took but it's too long. I tried everything that is listed on the web as far as instructions but for some reason I am not successful at it. I have a macbook pro and I am using an adobe premiere pro cs6 software. I've used the settings you listed but was unsuccessful.

My workflow:

Extract videos from Theta using Image Capture.
Drag and drop it to the Theta Software
Take the converted file and drop it in Adobe Premiere Timeline.
Export it with the settings provided on this Thread.
Pull up 360 video metadata tool (but it doesn't read the metabones on the converted video)

This is where I get stuck.

Can anyone help?
RebrandGroup

Postby FranzSdoutz » 21 Dec 2015, 20:39

Every video I’ve injected with 360° metadata after editing so far, uploads with two black circles at the poles of the sphere on YouTube. (As if somehow a 1px black line is added to the top and bottom of the rectangular video in postproduction …) I’ve seen this effect with other YouTube videos too. https://youtu.be/H9wZbkY7bPo
Can’t explain it. My edited and injected video has exactly the same properties as the stitched material from the Theta App. Unedited stitched material from the Theta app does not display these black pole caps when uploaded to YouTube.
FranzSdoutz

Postby JohnTancsics » 27 Dec 2015, 20:57

The Black hole at top and bottom may be caused because video output wasn't matched, ensure your video settings are 1920x960 30p or you will get black bars at top and bottom which look like black holes on spherical view.
JohnTancsics

Postby JoseGP » 30 Dec 2015, 00:07

FranzSdoutz wrote:Every video I’ve injected with 360° metadata after editing so far, uploads with two black circles at the poles of the sphere on YouTube. (As if somehow a 1px black line is added to the top and bottom of the rectangular video in postproduction …) I’ve seen this effect with other YouTube videos too. https://youtu.be/H9wZbkY7bPo
Can’t explain it. My edited and injected video has exactly the same properties as the stitched material from the Theta App. Unedited stitched material from the Theta app does not display these black pole caps when uploaded to YouTube.

Franz, I have the same problem, I'm using iMovie and the output is 4k at High quality.
JoseGP

Postby FranzSdoutz » 30 Dec 2015, 15:22

@JohnTancsics, @JoseGP
The pole caps disappear when pixel aspect ratio is set to 1:1 (square) during export (Final Cut Pro). Youtube accepts injected files: 360 Video Metadata Tool.exe (set to spherical) https://goo.gl/BwsGLY
FranzSdoutz

Postby Poppaneedsanap » 05 Jan 2016, 06:10

I am having trouble editing in Premiere / Final Cut..
When I import the stitched MP4 it is playing back at an odd frame rate and not syncing with the audio..

anyone know what settings to make a sequence?
THis is drivng me nuts
Poppaneedsanap

Postby RickHunter333 » 22 Jan 2016, 08:45

After editing the footage in premiere, the injector software doesn't recognize the video file. I've tried exporting it dozens of times at different settings. Can someone walk me through this? Thanks!
RickHunter333

Postby FranzSdoutz » 23 Jan 2016, 21:07

Have you tried to remame your finished file to *.mp4 ? @RickHunter333
FranzSdoutz

Postby Andrea_Escobar » 27 Jan 2016, 15:35

Do you have some videos or tutorials to know some tricks in premier? I will edit some videos with the Ricoh Theta S. Let me know if you have some information.
Andrea_Escobar

Theta S Premiere CC workflow - Camera to YouTube

Postby DerekNickell » 23 Mar 2016, 19:34

Theta S Premiere CC workflow - Camera to YouTube

Ingest footage to drive.
Flattening - Batch process all footage through Theta software by dragging all files to open Theta S program window - (adds "_er" to filename)
Open Premiere and start new project (don't worry about settings here)
Import flattened footage (double click in project window or File > Import)
Drag one clip to the "New Item" icon in the bottom right of the Project window. This will create a new sequence with the exact settings of the video file.
Add other files to this new sequence.
Cut, add transitions, color grade, music, etc.
Export media with following settings:

TOP TAB:
Format: H.264
Preset: n/a
Output Name: <SAVE LOCATION AND NAMING>

VIDEO TAB:
W n H: Match Source Checked
Frame Rate: Match Source Checked
Aspect: Match Source Checked
TV Standard: NTSC
Profile: Main
Level: 4.1
Bitrate Encoding: VBR 1 pass
Target: 16
Maximum: 16

AUDIO TAB:
Audio Format: AAC

CLICK EXPORT

Open 360 Injector from google: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6178631?hl=en

Click "Open" and select edited file
Select checkbox "Spherical"
Click "Save as" and enter <UPLOAD FILE NAME>
Click Ok.
Upload file to YouTube.
DerekNickell

Postby Poppaneedsanap » 06 Apr 2016, 17:34

This is so infuriating.. Every time I add a clip to a sequence the audio gets unsync'd, frame rate changes.
importing the stitched Theta video, adding it to a sequence by dragging it over new item..
boom.. unsync'd in the timeline. can't figure it out.

Starting to wonder if it's my copy of premiere that is the problem since no one else seems to have this problem, gonna try FC7 on the old computer.
Poppaneedsanap

Postby CarlosCordova » 07 Apr 2016, 17:32

Hey ! its not your premier copy I have the same problem with the audio every time i import a video to premier.

I cant figure it out either, i just watch the uncompressed file with the _er its fine, it match but when you import it get unsync and not need to put it on the timeline of your sequence if you preview the video just from the proyect panel its unsync alredy.
CarlosCordova

Postby Poppaneedsanap » 27 Apr 2016, 02:51

CarlosCordova wrote:Hey ! its not your premier copy I have the same problem with the audio every time i import a video to premier.

I cant figure it out either, i just watch the uncompressed file with the _er its fine, it match but when you import it get unsync and not need to put it on the timeline of your sequence if you preview the video just from the proyect panel its unsync alredy.

So.. I realized now that it is indeed my copy of Premiere that was messing this up.
A new installation of CC solved the issue.

if you look at the setting for the stitched MP4 (before you import to Premiere, in Quicktime or VLC), it says it's 1920 x 960, 29.97 fps..
When I import to Premiere CS6 it imports the file as 25 fps. Not reading the header correctly for some reason.

Anyway, I've had friends import the same file and it imports correctly..
and as I said, fresh Pr CC install imports it as it should.
Poppaneedsanap

Postby RobbieSintome » 08 May 2016, 23:02

I am Using a mac OS x with 10.7.5 I have downloaded the Spatial media Metadata injector but it has downloaded but fails to open can you help please
RobbieSintome

Postby arronhuk » 12 May 2016, 14:47

Hi, Has anyone used premiere elements? I got my theta s yesterday and will shoot some video this weekend to upload next week if I can get it edited.
arronhuk

Editing Software for Videos and Pics

Postby johnsonraglin » 06 Jun 2016, 19:39

Can you please tell me what is a good editing software to use for a PC? I've tried Adobe Photoshop Elements and several others but when I put the 360 pics in the software and add to a video, when you click on the picture it doesn't rotate. I'm getting really frustrated and need some guidance. I'm wanting to use the camera for my business. Thanks so much in advance for your help!
johnsonraglin

Postby Seoulgrub » 13 Aug 2016, 13:27

Poppaneedsanap wrote:
CarlosCordova wrote:Hey ! its not your premier copy I have the same problem with the audio every time i import a video to premier.

So.. I realized now that it is indeed my copy of Premiere that was messing this up.
A new installation of CC solved the issue.

if you look at the setting for the stitched MP4 (before you import to Premiere, in Quicktime or VLC), it says it's 1920 x 960, 29.97 fps..
When I import to Premiere CS6 it imports the file as 25 fps. Not reading the header correctly for some reason.

Anyway, I've had friends import the same file and it imports correctly..
and as I said, fresh Pr CC install imports it as it should.

I had the same problem and found a solution without having to install PR CC - albeit an inconvenient solution. (Mac version of PR CS6)

TLDR: In PR change fps to 29.97, replace audio by Unlinking, and upload/match the 25fps audio.

1) Drag your stitched video to a blank project (it should say that the fps is 25 - which is incorrect).
2) Right-click on video file > 'Modify' > 'Interpret Footage' > Click 'Assume this frame rate' and change to "29.97" > OK.
3) Right-click on video file > 'New Sequence from Clip.'
4) Right-click the file on the Sequence Frame > 'Unlink' > Delete just the audio file.
5) Drag the same stitched video (25 fps) version, and add to Sequence frame under Video/Audio 2.
6) Right-click the 25 fps file on the Sequence Frame > 'Unlink' > Delete just the video file.
7) Trim the end of the audio file to match the 29.97 fps video file.
The video and audio should now be in sync.
Seoulgrub

Postby jcasman » 15 Aug 2016, 17:48

Just adding some potentially useful information here. I myself have *not* tested this, as I don't own Adobe Premier Pro. (I am actively considering buying it.) This is a blog post on "VR Video Editing in Adobe Premiere Pro" that mostly focuses on "VR workflows" and publishing VR video directly to the web from Premiere Pro, to YouTube or Facebook. http://lists.theta360.guide/t/vr-video-editing-in-adobe-premiere-pro/77/1
jcasman

Postby Eddie » 29 Aug 2016, 14:18

FranzSdoutz wrote:Every video I’ve injected with 360° metadata after editing so far, uploads with two black circles at the poles of the sphere on YouTube. (As if somehow a 1px black line is added to the top and bottom of the rectangular video in postproduction …) I’ve seen this effect with other YouTube videos too. https://youtu.be/H9wZbkY7bPo

I'm using 6 xiaomi yi cameras with rig. Edited video in AE and exported it in Premier Pro and I have the exact same problem. Top and bottom cirles and 1 px line. Did you manage to solve this problem yet?

Thanks in advance
Eddie

Postby codetricity » 29 Aug 2016, 17:26

@jcasman, we know that the guys at BlackBoxTV Studios used the THETA to make the videos here. They took a still 360 image and overlaid video on top of it and are using some type of 360 sound recording rig. Maybe you or Tyler should contact them and offer to write a profile on their studio and find out how they are editing the videos?

I don't understand how to do an overlay of a 360 video onto a 360 image to get higher resolution of the background image (which is the bulk of the video image). It's a pretty cool technique to give the appearance of higher resolution.

codetricity

Postby jcasman » 30 Aug 2016, 15:16

Cool idea. I'll reach out to them and see what I can find out. That overlay stuff is fantastic. :geek:
jcasman

Postby FranzSdoutz » 31 Aug 2016, 09:52

@Eddie
You need to set the pixel aspect ratio of your video to 1:1 (square) when exporting (see reply above) Nothing to do with hardware ...
FranzSdoutz

Postby MichaelSundburg » 07 Nov 2016, 06:13

I downloaded the software and the only screen I can get to pop up is the registration screen. How can I stitch my video in Windows 7
MichaelSundburg

Postby StefanoCimenti » 02 Apr 2017, 14:45

I have been playing with the Theta S for some time now and i am able to upload 360 vids to Youtube via Camera or via Macbook once I have used Ricoh Theta Software.

I cannot edit it though using Filmora as once i do this it wont work. I am saving it as .mp4

Do you have a step by step guide to help me please?
StefanoCimenti

Next

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA