New Theta S: Wifi Not Connecting to Smartphone

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

New Theta S: Wifi Not Connecting to Smartphone

Postby hypernetec » 02 Apr 2016, 21:24

Hi, all.

Purchased a device at 'The Gadget Show' in Birmingham on Thursday morning. I played about with it on the day and briefly on the following day. It appeared to be functioning well, and I was looking forward to exploring it this evening.

However, despite repeated attempts at resetting the wifi, re-installing the Theta app and re-setting the smartphone, it no longer recognises my wifi.

It's showing up for my phone to join but the app won't connect and neither will any related apps from Theta although I can remotely trigger the camera.

Any advice appreciated.
hypernetec

Re: New Theta S: Wifi Not Connecting to Smartphone

Postby AnsonChew » 06 Apr 2016, 03:53

Have you tried shooting using Google Street View and see if it work. If yes, try turning the preview off in your Theta S and try again.
AnsonChew

Postby AmmarBalawi » 26 Apr 2016, 10:23

Hello there,
I have the same problem from a Theta S bought in Birmingham too..
It just won't connect to wifi. I tried iPhone, Android (HTC and Lenovo), Laptop, etc.. never connected once!
I followed the exact way to connect (THETAXS####OSC), then it tries to connect but fails and gives me "Connection failed", "Incorrect Password", etc..
Please someone help!
AmmarBalawi

Postby Dozhdbog » 17 May 2016, 00:00

I have an iPhone 5s. I can connect via wifi, I can use 3rd party apps with it, like ThetaS-HDR, THETA-HDR, and Theta S Remote, but Ricoh's proprietary app, Theta S, will not connect.
I get the same error message every time, "Cannot connect to camera. Check Wi-Fi settings".

I have followed the troubleshooting guidelines. I have turned both the Theta S off and my iPhone, then turned them back on. I have tried forgetting the theta S in the wifi settings, then re-establishing a connection.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
Dozhdbog

Postby JesseIngall » 03 Jun 2016, 02:04

Hi everyone,

I recently traveled around parts of Europe and had this exact same issue when I arrived in Corsica. I was on the phone with Theta support and they had no idea what it was but thought it had to do with the gryoscope in it and something to do with the GPS (knowing where it was). I didn't believe them but couldn't find an answer. Then we rode to Sardinia and still not connecting. I'll note that the red light would flash occasionally but it would still let me shoot. The only way I could see the photos was by plugging it into a computer but I only had access to one in Corsica. Then we arrived in Italy and BINGO, it connected to my phone. I THINK it has something to do with the GPS interfering with the wifi. I know that sounds crazy and you probably all think it's wrong. It worked in Nice, France before I took the ferry to Corsica and the minute I started using it in Corsica it wouldn't connect. We even tried it in the middle of no where to connect it and nothing. Hope this helps.
JesseIngall

Postby CDJ001 » 09 Jun 2016, 23:17

Hi, the initial password for the wifi connection is the numerical portion of the upper and lower numbers. For example if my theta s had the following on the sticker:

XS00

the initial wifi password is: 00184228

Initially reading the instructions I though that the password would be XS00184228.OSC, which didn't work. I also had a problem where I had the wrong application installed on the iPhone 6s plus. I had "Theta" instead of "Theta S" application installed. Everything is working fine now!
CDJ001

Postby JayBerthoud » 20 Jun 2016, 11:32

Same issue for me :(
4 days of great experience and then nothing.
Does anybody have any idea of how to solve this annoying bug?

Dozhdbog wrote:I have an iPhone 5s. I can connect via wifi, I can use 3rd party apps with it, like ThetaS-HDR, THETA-HDR, and Theta S Remote, but Ricoh's proprietary app, Theta S, will not connect.
I get the same error message every time, "Cannot connect to camera. Check Wi-Fi settings".

I have followed the troubleshooting guidelines. I have turned both the Theta S off and my iPhone, then turned them back on. I have tried forgetting the theta S in the wifi settings, then re-establishing a connection.

Anyone have any other suggestions?
JayBerthoud

Postby Kirill_Kolomyts » 30 Jun 2016, 22:56

Same problem. Cannot connect to the camera. Please check the Wi-Fi settings.
Can Ricoh look into this big issue?? Please fellas, we love your device and want to take the experience all the way, but without an App we simply can't do it all.
We've all tried to connecting, reconnecting, deleting, reinstalling, pressing all the buttons all at once and on-by-one BUT IT JUST WON'T CONNCT! The wi-fi icon on the top of the screen doesn't appear, even though the it says that its connected in the settings page.
PLEASE HELP US ESTABLISH CONNECTION BETWEEN THETA S AND IOS APP !

Best regards,

Theta S, iPhone 6sPlus.
Kirill_Kolomyts

Postby m33k0 » 02 Jul 2016, 03:36

I had the same issue. New Theta S. Charged it, turned it on, and have yet to be able to connect my new iphone 6s to it. I've tried about 20 times, have the proper password, etc.

I connect to the network, but the iOS device doesn't show that wifi is connected in the status bar. It does show connected in the wifi settings.

Then, I acted like a real genius and went to the app store to see if maybe there was a different app than "Rico Theta" that I might be able to use.

There she was -- the "Theta S" App. Once installed, I connected to wifi, still didn't see the icon in the taskbar, but when I ran the app, presto... it connected fine and I can now use the camera.

Ricoh - The post purchase consumer experience is important. MORE important than all the reverse logistic and repair stuff you've put in place. Reallocate budgets from that stuff, brush up the user experience for the product instructions, error messages and help docs... and you will see it all pay off.

You are inventing new hardware. Invent a better user experience also. If you want help, I'd be more than happy to chat.
m33k0

Postby FrankVerbeek » 12 Jul 2016, 06:17

I had intermittent troubles with phone connections with my HTC phone.
Eventually resolved it by freeing up memory on the phone by deleting some of the bigger apps.

Hope that helps
FrankVerbeek

Postby timothy_childs » 13 Jul 2016, 03:26

Having exact same issue. Wifi connected to phone and app perfectly until last night. Tried everything. 3rd party Theta-oriented apps work, but not Ricoh app. VERY frustrating.
timothy_childs

Postby darrenhendley » 13 Jul 2016, 13:13

Hello
I have this problem too. I can connect OK to wifi, but the app shows an error. I'm using the correct app, and third party apps work ok.
Is there a support email we can use?
darrenhendley

Postby ToneeGee » 15 Jul 2016, 21:55

Hi all and greetings from France :)
I had the very same issue connecting my Theta S to my iPhone6 and/or iPad Air.
Well, I'm going to share with you what I can advise to solve this very, very annoying problem :twisted:

What you need to do is to download the Theta S app from the App Store : get the one in English and then be sure to get the one in Chinese. This is very important!!

Then setup your wifi to connect to your Theta S as usual. When the blinking wifi icon on the theta goes steady, launch the Theta S Chinese app. It will connect to your iOS device. Then run the English one. And bingo!
The English Theta app is now connected, you can stop the running Chinese app.
I hope this workaround will help some of you, and get much fun out of your Theta 8-)
Any additional help, drop me a line :D
Cheers !
ToneeGee

Postby LocLee » 20 Jul 2016, 11:43

yes, it's.. i have a program like this :( :(
LocLee

Postby NeilJonathanRix » 28 Jul 2016, 06:53

I'm having the same issue on my iPhone 6S. It was working fine, then I updated my OS and it stopped. Third party apps work just fine.

I had about two seconds of joy with the Chinese version of the app (available in international versions of the App Store), but then that stopped too :(

Come on, Ricoh - sort it out! The absence of proper tech support is frustrating because this app is a big part of the reason I bought the Theta S and not a competitor.
NeilJonathanRix

Postby NicholasFazio » 29 Jul 2016, 04:26

Just got my camera. Connects to wifi. Street view works fine. Theta S app fail!!! Anyone figured out a fix yet? Any one know any other app to pull video and photo files off on to iPhone?
NicholasFazio

Postby JoshSampiero » 29 Jul 2016, 21:41

Hi,

Can anyone suggest the best third party workaround apps for the connection problem?

Super bummed - can see the Wifi, can log-in using the password, but my iPhone doesn't show the Wifi in the status bar up top, and the app can't connect. Tried every reset and operating system update. Super. Annoying.
JoshSampiero

Postby JKW360 » 04 Aug 2016, 18:29

Same problem for me. It worked for a couple of weeks but then my iPhone 6s stopped not recognizing the Theta S from the iOS app. I could connect successfully to the Theta's WIFI but the app wouldn't connect to the camera. I have it working now, I'm not sure what fixed it but here is what I tried:

1. Plug Theta S into my computer and used the Ricoh app to update the Firmware.
2. Deleted the Theta S app from my iPhone, and reinstalled it.
3. From my iPhone WIFI settings I did the "Forget Network" function for the Theta's broadcasted WIFI.
4. Reconnected to the Theta account using the default password printed on the side of the Theta S.
5. I turned on Airplane mode on my phone, but then enabled WIFI.
5. Werks.
JKW360

Postby mat_ten » 05 Aug 2016, 10:46

Had the same problem with android.
Turns out it was my adblocker app that prevented the connection.
If you have some kind of vpn activated it won't connect.
Just disable it.
mat_ten

Postby Jezgodfrey » 16 Aug 2016, 09:28

Has anyone worked out a solution for this issue yet

I managed to connect ok a few times bit now cannot get any connection. Tried multiple iPhone,iPads all have the same issue.

How do you delete images from the Ricoh Theta S without being able to connect to the APP

I have tried deleting the software on phone, plane mode etc etc and still cannot get the wifi to connect

You can control the camera using third party apps even though it is not showing that it has connect to the wifi so obviously some connection is being made.
Jezgodfrey

Postby Svendus » 17 Aug 2016, 10:11

First of all try to reboot the phone
then go to Wifi settings turn on the THETA S
Click Connect if necessary fill in the password
Apple IOS are not as Stable as the Linux kernel on Android
Last edited by Svendus on 19 Aug 2016, 20:26, edited 1 time in total.
Svendus

Postby jcasman » 19 Aug 2016, 18:01

Also, one tip, maybe not relevant, but if you've connected to the THETA from one device, it does not give any indication that it's busy. So, for example, if you've been alternating between connecting with your phone and also a laptop, make sure the *other* device is definitely not connected. I've done this multiple times, it takes a while to realize the THETA network is active and connected, just not to the device you want.
jcasman

Postby Svendus » 19 Aug 2016, 20:30

Yes Happens often here the Smart Phone has gone for the internet :D

and the Camera and You are not aware :oops:

Svendus

Postby _Phil_J » 04 Sep 2016, 09:09

I think I have this sorted.

I have had the same issue as many. It worked fine for a bit but then, although it was connecting to the iOS app (wifi light on theta s being a solid colour rather than flashing) I couldn't get the iOS app to connect to the camera, with it coming up with the error message many have highlighted.

I did install the google street view app a few days back and I think that this app was hogging the connection with the theta and hence the error message.

I deleted both the theta s and google street view app, reinstalled the theta s app and it works fine again.

Let me know if this works for you?
_Phil_J

Postby KriszKolesar » 06 Sep 2016, 08:21

Deleted the app from the phone then reinstalled.
It seemed to solve the problem.
I use iphone 5s.
KriszKolesar

Postby BenLee » 26 Oct 2016, 17:20

Here's my challenges.

Antwann from Ricoh says they will send info to Japan for their hopeful resolution..am pretty sure it is camera wif...have used GoPros, and SJCam, and Canon Vixia HF R50 with no problems of phones and wifi connectivity

Today at 8:52 AM
To
Antwann.Mitchell@ricoh-usa.com
Message body
Thank you Antwann, will put together a list of things that I did and send to you.

Basically: Cannot run with

1) Nexus 5x and 6 running with Android 7.0
2) Galaxy Tab 3 running Android 4.4.2

3) Device Number XS00148460...updated firmware last night...10/24/2016 latest version
4) Connects with Nexus and Galaxy but only SAVES
5) Tries to connect with Theta S==Starts "Authenticating" and then says "Authentication Problem" then puts into "Saved" mode.

6) Theta S App does not launch..
7) When Tap on Theta App, reverts to Wireless Section for Connection
Hardware:
Reset Theta via Antwann's instruction
Both Power and also Wireless buttons...holding down for 10 seconds
SHutdwon and re-installes Theta App on Phones...

Theta does work with iPAD Air and IOS 10.0.2 but want to run on Android Phones...

Thanks

Ben Lee
Ben Lee
BenLee

Postby DennisHinkamp » 28 Oct 2016, 21:23

Same problem on an off for the last week using Theta S with Android. Uninstalling and reinstalling the app and also "forgetting" the wifi from the previous install of the app seems to work but for how long. It might be worth trying the $2.75 third party app to see if it is more stable. The Theta S app has looked different after each reinstall within the period of a few days, sometimes it has the interval option; sometime not. Sometime the "change WiFi password" option is there, sometimes not.
Looking forward to getting my Nikon Keymission 360 next week to see if it is a more robust system.
DennisHinkamp

Postby codetricity » 08 Nov 2016, 00:25

To verify if it is a problem with the camera compatibility with the app, I would try to connect the camera to your computer with WiFi in the same environment. If there is WiFi interference, you can change the WiFi channel.

https://developers.theta360.com/en/docs/v2.1/api_reference/options/_wlan_channel.html

I've seen WiFi problems before with some equipment connecting to the THETA. Fortunately, the connection seems to be fine with my Moto-G 2nd gen.
codetricity

Postby AaronR » 25 Dec 2016, 19:56

i can get theta s app to work only if there are no other wifi connection around or use the China app first to connect to your camera then use the English app. It seems all the other 3rd party's app work fine.
AaronR

Postby codetricity » 28 Dec 2016, 06:21

codetricity

Next

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA