Theta S, will not turn on

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta S, will not turn on

Postby gjw0920 » 11 Apr 2016, 16:32

Used for about a month, now Theta S will not turn on at all.
Charging okay, but no lights will come on.
Have tried the double button resets...still nothing.
Perhaps I have to return?
gjw0920

Re: Theta S, will not turn on

Postby brianlrichards » 12 Apr 2016, 17:50

Silly question but is the battery charged or is there a problem charging it?
brianlrichards

Postby Svendus » 13 Apr 2016, 06:24

If the Camera have got a electric shock or being dropped
it will behave like that
i should return the camera and get a new one to reduced price from Ricoh
Svendus

Postby HiramVzquez » 26 Apr 2016, 01:36

i have the same problem... what happens RICOH?
HiramVzquez

Postby DBG2016 » 09 May 2016, 22:54

Same thing is happening here. WTF. So lame. Gonna have to write a bad review, great shots, but only if it turns on :(

My theta won't hold a charge/fully charge.
At this point won't turn on.
Unable to update the firmware.
DBG2016

Postby Linxlab » 19 Jun 2016, 12:07

I have been working on a live stream project so I have 2 Ricoh Theta S cameras. One of them stopped working after a week. I would plugged it in to the wall charger, and the computer. The power light flashes red twice then it will not turn on again. I tried everything. The problem is not with us forgetting how to plug the camera in. It is with the device that stops working after one or two uses.

Next I started to use the second camera. It ran out of battery power so I went to charge it last night and now the second camera is doing the same thing. That is crazy.

Now I can't get the footage out of both cameras and I have to return 2 Ricoh Theta's after only using it for 2 weeks. This is a huge issue that most be fixed. Unless this issue is fixed I will have to warn people not to buy this low quality camera.
Linxlab

Postby RistoSaaremets » 20 Aug 2016, 07:00

I am having the same problem. Used Theta S for less than ten times and it will no longer charge/turn on. With a cable connected to the computer it can be accessed. It shows the photos and also that the battery level is 33%, but disconnect the cable and it goes dark.

What can be done?
RistoSaaremets

Postby DanielFumero » 22 Aug 2016, 16:33

Got the same problem!

The camera works only when its coneccted to USB by cable but the battery don't chare.

I've been using it since the battery dischargeg and (of course) I cant apply the last Firmware.
DanielFumero

Postby codetricity » 22 Aug 2016, 23:57

Linxlab wrote:I have been working on a live stream project so I have 2 Ricoh Theta S cameras. One of them stopped working after a week. I would plugged it in to the wall charger, and the computer. The power light flashes red twice then it will not turn on again. I tried everything. The problem is not with us forgetting how to plug the camera in. It is with the device that stops working after one or two uses.

Did you try contacting RICOH customer support for warranty assistance? If it's a problem with the hardware of the camera, I'm not sure if the community can provide any help. If it's not a usage issue, you need to send it back for repair.

RistoSaaremets wrote:I am having the same problem. Used Theta S for less than ten times and it will no longer charge/turn on. With a cable connected to the computer it can be accessed. It shows the photos and also that the battery level is 33%, but disconnect the cable and it goes dark.
What can be done?

Just to confirm, you've got it plugged into a wall charger that can supply 1.5 amps (not a mobile phone charger or your computer USB), right? What is the electrical current rating of your wall charger? Also, are you using the USB cable that came with your camera? I had a problem where I used a third-party USB cable and the connector was faulty. It could be a problem with the cable that came with your camera, but that one looks like it is good quality to me.

This thread on Reddit may help.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RicohTheta/comments/4x26wg/charging_the_theta_s/
codetricity

Postby Svendus » 24 Aug 2016, 19:33

i think if You use a USB3, USB3.1 port with an USB3 or USB3.1 cable You run into trouble
Use the USB cable that came with your camera

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB
Svendus

Postby codetricity » 25 Aug 2016, 19:01

This is wonderful. Thanks for sharing this. It seems like this type of device would be useful.

It's possible that the THETA is damaged, either from the factory or from a power surge, but I'm curious to learn what the amperage power output is of the wall charger the people are using and what type of cable they're using.

This would be a great tool to see if the output of the 1.5 amp wall charger is actually charging the THETA.
codetricity

Postby Reklamnet » 16 Jan 2017, 08:44

I used Theta S for one month and it will no longer charge/turn on. With a cable connected to the computer it can be accessed. It shows the photos and also that the battery level is 33%, but disconnect the cable and it goes dark.

What can I do? I hope that the Ricoh Theta has technical support.
Reklamnet

Postby codetricity » 17 Jan 2017, 19:37

Reklamnet wrote:I used Theta S for one month and it will no longer charge/turn on. With a cable connected to the computer it can be accessed. It shows the photos and also that the battery level is 33%, but disconnect the cable and it goes dark.

What can I do? I hope that the Ricoh Theta has technical support.

Have you tried charging the THETA S from a wall charger? Maybe the same 1.5amp charger you use for your tablet (if you have one).

On a normal computer, USB 2.0 (500mA) has a higher power output than USB 1.0 (too low to use). USB 3.0 provides 900mA or 1.5A (for battery charging purposes).

I would try plugging it into a wall charger rated at 1.5 amp first.

It's possible that the rechargeable battery is damaged and you'll need to send it back under warranty. Did you try contacting RICOH customer service?
codetricity

Postby Singhandsamtani » 07 May 2017, 08:26

we have been using ricoh theta s from about 2 months and now it would not turn on but if plugged in a laptop or a wall charger it shows the red light, but as we take the USB off and try switching it on it wont respond. it is not also accessible while we connect it to the laptop. we have pending orders and as this malfunction we are helpless and suffering a loss and we also have invested alot to purchase this camera, so as this overview have we been cheated by ricoh theta :evil: :evil: , any quick solution?
Singhandsamtani

Postby DenilsonCanolli » 14 Apr 2019, 03:56

I have the same problem with Theta V.
Camera does not turn on.
If connected to the computer (USB): ok (the camera turns on).
It seems battery problem. Apparently no safe load.
The official support of Ricoh, passed me the technical assistance contact in Mexico and Puerto Rico. I'm in Brazil. Complicated send the camera to another country.
DenilsonCanolli

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA