Theta M15 won't record video

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta M15 won't record video

Postby V96GLF » 14 Jul 2017, 13:36

I have borrowed an M15, and it works fine for still photos. But when I try to record a video, it just switches itself off.

Starting from fully off:

- press and hold Wifi button
- tap power button. Both lights are now blue.
- release wifi button.

Press front button... both lights immediately switch off, and the camera is now off.

If I try from the app, the shooting screen shows the number of shots available. When I press the go button the camera immediately powers down. The app displays "Now image synthesising" for a while, before "Error - Shooting failed..."
V96GLF

Re: Theta M15 won't record video

Postby jcasman » 14 Jul 2017, 21:23

@V96GLF,

I have two m15s and cannot recreate the problem. I followed your steps and was able to take videos easily. Just one point, not sure it's useful, but you mention trying to take pictures using the app, too, and state that the "shooting screen shows the number of shots available." It shouldn't. You should see the video shooting screen, green, with the big shutter button with the THETA logo, and it should say something like "Remaining time 05:00." When it's in video mode, I can't get that shooting screen to show anything about number of shots.

Probably not super helpful, but just passing on what I see.

Jesse
jcasman

Postby V96GLF » 15 Jul 2017, 08:44

Thanks for responding, Jesse.

I wonder if it could be a firmware issue? One of the first things I did (before trying video, so I don't know if it was working previously) was to update the firmware to 1.60.

Two things now bother me:
1. The firmware upgrade seemed to happen very quickly. I wonder if it might have hit a problem?
2. Is 1.60 suitable for the m15?

Anyway, the device is now reporting 1.60, and photo shooting works fine.

So now my question is whether it is possible to force a re-install of 1.60, or to go back to a previous firmware version?
V96GLF

Postby jcasman » 24 Jul 2017, 16:31

@VV96GLF,
Sorry, I've never tried to downgrade the firmware version, so I have no real opinion. Have you tried RICOH THETA support?
Jesse
jcasman

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA