HELP! Error Message converting videos

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

HELP! Error Message converting videos

Postby bluzdoctor » 22 May 2015, 18:01

Hi All:
Im working on a project using the Theta for immersive journalism, specifically about Selma, Alabama 150 years after the end of slavery and the Civil War, and 50 years after the Selma to Montgomery Voting Rights March. I have been attempting to convert the 360 videos using the Theta app and I get the same message each time:
"Failed to convert video:(VCPE0000001, VCP)"

I am on a deadline for a project and tried to call support, but they told me they didn't know much about the camera (the tech hadn't ever seen one), asked if I had the latest firmware, software and then gave me a number to get the camera repaired. Is there anyone on this forum, or at Ricoh who could help me troubleshoot this issue? Getting a bit desperate!

I am using the Theta app 1.10.2 with the latest firmware. Theta M-15. My computer is a macbook pro 13" retina with 3Ghz i7 processor with Intel Iris with 1536 MB VRAM running OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 (14D136). I brought the images from the camera through Aperture.

Thank you for any assistance.
bluzdoctor
bluzdoctor

Re: HELP! Error Message converting videos

Postby brad3d » 22 May 2015, 19:42

did you get this worked out?
try coping the files over with Image Capture tool on the mac instead of aperture
brad3d

Postby Rafaelshura » 23 May 2015, 12:02

Hi.
  • My friend said " Once I have upgraded the Air, the phenomenon is no longer out ."
    What is your Air version?
  • How do you bring the file from THETA?
I'm glad if this helps you...
Rafaelshura

Postby bluzdoctor » 27 May 2015, 18:54

I will try with image capture. But I already imported the files and some are not on the camera any longer.
bluzdoctor

Postby bluzdoctor » 27 May 2015, 18:56

Rafaelshura wrote:Hi.
  • My friend said " Once I have upgraded the Air, the phenomenon is no longer out ."
    What is your Air version?
  • How do you bring the file from THETA?
I'm glad if this helps you...

I brought it over with aperture. I am not sure what your friend means by "Air" I am using a MacBook Pro...

Thank you,

Joel
bluzdoctor

Postby bluzdoctor » 27 May 2015, 20:50

OK, the videos convert without the error using image capture to import the Theta videos to my Mac. However, I don't have the original videos I need except the ones I brought over using Aperture. Can I recover those? What is aperture doing to the imported videos from the Theta? Does it corrupt the files, strip or somehow change the XMP files? Now I really need help! I can't go back and reshoot them, its 1000 miles away and weeks later.... :cry:
bluzdoctor

Postby bluzdoctor » 29 Jun 2015, 02:36

Called Apple Pro Application support and went through the process importing the videos from camera to Aperture. So if imported in aperture, you will need to export them as originals, not versions. With versions, it substitutes an Aperture codex for Theta. Problem solved. Best to just import using image capture instead of Aperture. Aperture is no longer being supported (Apple's "Photos" is replacing Aperture and iPhoto...)
bluzdoctor

Postby AnneMarieDenault » 03 Sep 2015, 11:43

I have the same issue. I use a Mac os 10.6.8. I have updated my adobe Air but I still cannot upload my videos from iphoto into Rico Theta. It says (VCPE0000001, VCP)
AnneMarieDenault

Postby chronocide » 03 Jan 2016, 23:36

bluzdoctor wrote:Called Apple Pro Application support and went through the process importing the videos from camera to Aperture. So if imported in aperture, you will need to export them as originals, not versions. With versions, it substitutes an Aperture codex for Theta. Problem solved. Best to just import using image capture instead of Aperture. Aperture is no longer being supported (Apple's "Photos" is replacing Aperture and iPhoto...)

What if the video has already been pulled off via Photos.app?

Does anyone know of a means to rewrite the file metadata back to the Theta codec specification?
chronocide

Postby Ed_itor » 05 Jan 2016, 03:32

This does not help the original post, but hopefully will help others.
Changing the extension to either MP4 or MOV does not solve the problem. Changing to mp4 will allow you to drag the video into the app, but fails when starting the conversion.
Just got some amazing news when talking with Paul at Ricoh (super friendly and helpful). With the newer Mac OS (10.11), Photos is the program that seems to cause problems. Importing via Photos does not work. Two work arounds:
1- Press and hold the WiFi and Shutter button on the Theta S while plugging in to the Mac. This will allow the "RICHODCX" to appear on the desktop and finder. You can then copy (or drag and drop) the files to your computer. I Love this as it gives me control. (I hate that Apple has dumbed down their programs, but that's a rant for another day.)
2- Use the Image Capture program (found in Applications) to import files.

Both of these methods do not change the file and allowed me to convert the file for easy editing.

I have also removed Adobe Air v.20 and installed Adobe Air version 19.

Hope this solves your problems too.

- Older version of Adobe Air (ver 19) via this website. https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html
System specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.11 El Capitan. Ricoh Theta v 2.0.1. Adobe Air 19.0.0.241
Ed_itor

Postby magicfuture » 17 Jan 2016, 10:29

Ed_itor's solution work. The file size totally difference when i import video via Photos and Image Capture!!! Thanks!

Ed_itor wrote:This does not help the original post, but hopefully will help others.
Changing the extension to either MP4 or MOV does not solve the problem. Changing to mp4 will allow you to drag the video into the app, but fails when starting the conversion.
Just got some amazing news when talking with Paul at Ricoh (super friendly and helpful). With the newer Mac OS (10.11), Photos is the program that seems to cause problems. Importing via Photos does not work. Two work arounds:
1- Press and hold the WiFi and Shutter button on the Theta S while plugging in to the Mac. This will allow the "RICHODCX" to appear on the desktop and finder. You can then copy (or drag and drop) the files to your computer. I Love this as it gives me control. (I hate that Apple has dumbed down their programs, but that's a rant for another day.)

Both of these methods do not change the file and allowed me to convert the file for easy editing.

- Older version of Adobe Air (ver 19) via this website. https://helpx.adobe.com/air/kb/archived-air-sdk-version.html
System specs: MacBook Pro OS 10.11 El Capitan. Ricoh Theta v 2.0.1. Adobe Air 19.0.0.241
magicfuture

Postby liveitnow » 04 Feb 2016, 20:32

Has anyone figured out how to fix the files if they have already been imported via Photos and no longer have the original files on the camera?
liveitnow

Postby liveitnow » 04 Feb 2016, 21:04

Found the solution, which may have been said earlier but I just didn't understand it.

Within the Mac Photos application, you need to export the files as originals. The exported files can then be converted no problem with the Theta Application.
liveitnow

Postby JaxPwcRiders » 05 Feb 2016, 21:35

I recently bought the Theta S. I am needing to combine a 360 picture with a few 20 sec video clips that are not 360. Can anyone tell me what the best editing program or how to do this and be able to post it online.
JaxPwcRiders

Postby DennisMabrey » 05 Feb 2016, 21:41

JaxPwcRiders wrote:I recently bought the Theta S. I am needing to combine a 360 picture with a few 20 sec video clips that are not 360. Can anyone tell me what the best editing program or how to do this and be able to post it online.

You should probably start a new thread as this doesn't really add to the original topic. Also you might want to be more specific with your question. How do you mean 'combine' a 360 pic with non-360 video? How would the video start? Would it be by clicking on a part of the image?
DennisMabrey

Postby Problemsolved » 03 Mar 2016, 11:06

Hey,
We were making a school project with 360 Ricoh Theta camera and we had the same problem. We had the material in the camera, then we transfered the material straight to Macbook Pro through Photos (Importing via Photos does not work) but in case you have already done that and destroyed the original files.. there is a solution!! ;)

You need to go to the Photos and find the file (it's in the wrong mp4 form)
THEN: ->click with mouse -> export -> export original (I don't know the correct words in english). After you have downloaded the original file back, you can add it to Ricoh Theta S and it starts converting and "Failed to convert video:(VCPE0000001, VCP)" will no longer occure.

Hope this helps!!
Problemsolved

Postby SergioVillaKramsky » 20 Jul 2017, 08:02

I had the same problem. The files were already imported to my disk through image capture in Mac, and the camera was already empty. After trying a lot of things I discovered that if you make yourself the owner of the file, the problems goes away. In Mac OS you can do it with Get Info, selecting your User and then clicking on the cog, then clicking on Make "User (Me)" the owner.
SergioVillaKramsky

Postby Micrologus » 24 Feb 2018, 20:44

I tried the suggestions above, but I can't load a video in the Ricoh Theta application on MacOS X Sierra. I import the video directly from the camera (Ricoh Theta SC), but I get an error message! Please help. :cry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_Pf-xmhZj0&feature=youtu.be
Micrologus

Postby codetricity » 26 Feb 2018, 18:05

Did you follow this:

https://theta360.com/en/support/faq/c_04_s/75/

Videos dragged and dropped from the photo app are exported in m4v format and cannot be played on a PC app.
To play videos on a PC app, export using the following steps:
Select the video in the photo app > select File > Export > Export Unmodified Original For 1 Video > click the Export button.
codetricity

Postby Adorio » 05 Mar 2018, 06:26

Ed_itor wrote:This does not help the original post, but hopefully will help others.

Thanks, Ed_itor! Really useful information. The first way worked for me, and it all became so easy I just can't believe. Thanks again. Adorio
Adorio

Postby Micrologus » 26 Apr 2018, 10:31

codetricity wrote:Did you follow this:

https://theta360.com/en/support/faq/c_04_s/75/

Videos dragged and dropped from the photo app are exported in m4v format and cannot be played on a PC app.
To play videos on a PC app, export using the following steps:
Select the video in the photo app > select File > Export > Export Unmodified Original For 1 Video > click the Export button.

It doesn't work. It's really frustrating! I wrote to Theta months ago, no answer, no support at all. It's really incredible!
Micrologus

Postby Micrologus » 26 Apr 2018, 11:17

Tried to install the older version of Adobe Air, but it's the same... I can't open videos (only photos).
Micrologus

Postby Horence » 28 May 2018, 06:11

Thanks for your nice sharing. As for me, there is no error in converting videos. I'm used to convert iTunes DRM protected videos with DRM Media Converter. If you have purchased movies/TV shows from iTunes store, you may have known all iTunes videos are combined with fairplay DRM protection, it can be played on Apple devices only. Now with using this DRM removal software, it will be much easier for all iTunes users to get rip of DRM protection and convert videos from M4V to MP4 and multiple compatible formats at faster speed with zero loss quality. Maybe you can click here to learn its detail functions. Good luck.
Horence

Postby NelsonJayden » 27 Dec 2018, 15:14

This depends on what kind of movies you have. For common movies, you should be able to convert them with any video converter. But for DRM videos, you should get the DRM video converter mac to help. For more info, you can visit: https://www.drmare.com
NelsonJayden

Postby davidgreams » 27 Jan 2019, 12:29

So, here's what I've figured out with regards to this. Those errors were only happening to me after importing from Photos- which I found was the problem. By pressing the Wi-Fi button and the picture button while plugging in gets the Theta to show up on the Mac, and then I can pull the MP4 files directly off the Theta, and it all works fine. :)
davidgreams

Postby PayalSethi » 04 Apr 2019, 16:02

Thanks a ton for the info. The first method worked just fine for me. I had literally wasted around 2 days working on fixing the same issue my end.
Regards
Slinty
PayalSethi

Postby MatthewWS » 10 Apr 2019, 13:35

AnneMarieDenault wrote:I have the same issue. I use a Mac os 10.6.8. I have updated my adobe Air but I still cannot upload my videos from iphoto into Rico Theta. It says (VCPE0000001, VCP)

AnneMarieDenault, well, sometimes it has nothing to do with your iPhone, iPad (or any other gadget), cause these problems on the server's side. By the way, as usually :roll: ... Our company had this type of problem with our website (online shop), but them we've chosen an option to make an app (hiring a dev team of pros), and fortunately, they offered us a really good app development cost breakdown, so we agreed with no doubts.
MatthewWS

Postby choice_consumer » 23 May 2019, 02:50

I recently bought the Theta sc. I am needing to combine a 360 picture with a few 30-sec video clips that are not 360. what the best editing program or how to do this can anyone tell me.
Thanks
Aliyana
https://consumerbestchoice.com/
choice_consumer

Postby Tagan » 16 Jul 2019, 05:10

I am a developer, i am trying to work on CMS back end. I currently doing a work for someone and i want to customize the theme rightly from the editors without using paid theme. I tried looking for resource as a guide but all i have come across weren't too details. Here is the site i'm to delivered in less than 3 business day; https://consumerhome.org
Tagan

Postby sophieT » 16 Jul 2019, 19:27

Hi! I bought the Theta SC a month ago. How can I merge a 360 picture with several shorts 15s bits (not 360). Is there a software to do the trick?
Thank u! Sophie
www.theairgeeks.com
sophieT

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA