Theta S - image iOS vs. PC import - different file size

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta S - image iOS vs. PC import - different file size

Postby uli_r » 08 Nov 2015, 19:53

Here's an observation on image file size, which are different between import through the iOS application vs. direct USB to PC transfer.
  • File size of USB transferred images are typically around 4 MByte.
  • The images that the iOS application stores in the iOS photo roll are around 2 MByte.
  • Also the bending/distortion is different when comparing the two images in the preview application.
Anybody has an idea why there is such a difference?
uli_r

Re: Theta S - image iOS vs. PC import - different file size

Postby kertgartner » 01 Dec 2015, 16:45

Just wanted to bump this thread as I noticed the same thing. The images transfered via USB from the camera are much higher quality than the ones that are sent via WIFI over to the phone. I'm guessing it's compressing the images more so they don't take as long to transfer over WIFI, but it would be nice if there was an option to specify this.

Also, I don't understand why there's subtle differences in the distortion either. Any insight into that from the developers would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
kertgartner

Postby Andersen » 03 Dec 2015, 06:03

because of only 8GB so it will be great if can have a option to choose uncompress photo, at least when i travel i no need to bring a laptop just to back up in case memory full. hope the ricoh team hear this.
Andersen

Postby LilliMarcotte » 20 Dec 2015, 04:43

:roll:
Andersen wrote:because of only 8GB so it will be great if can have a option to choose uncompress photo, at least when i travel i no need to bring a laptop just to back up in case memory full. hope the ricoh team hear this.
LilliMarcotte

Postby uli_r » 20 Dec 2015, 22:06

After I've updated the firmware to 01.21 and the iOS app to 1.3.0, the pictures in the iOS camera roll are getting slightly bigger (ca. 3 MByte). Transfer via USB is still in the 4 MByte area.
uli_r

Postby RahulU » 10 Jul 2019, 11:45

I am having the same issue with image size. I am using OSC camera API's by Google to take an image from Ricoh theta V. I didn't get why there is so much difference in file transfer size.

It will be great if any developer from Ricoh theta can give us some inside on it.
RahulU

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA