Is there -any- use for the HDMI output?

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Is there -any- use for the HDMI output?

Postby NFGphoto » 31 Oct 2016, 09:26

I thought the newest Theta was a little bit reduced in features without the HDMI port, but now that I'm trying to use HDMI out on my S, I understand why they got rid of it.

Is there -any- use for it at all? The video's rotated 90 degrees and it's two fisheyes, instead of equirectangular. I haven't found any utilities or conversion tools that will work with this format. A lot of talk of 'coming soon' but nothing actually functional yet.

Or am I missing something? Please tell me I overlooked something. =)
NFGphoto

Re: Is there -any- use for the HDMI output?

Postby codetricity » 31 Oct 2016, 14:40

codetricity

Postby NFGphoto » 01 Nov 2016, 00:52

codetricity wrote:Read this

Perhaps I should rephrase. I can already record HDMI video, I just want a desktop app to convert the video into something I can use.

The prices of the products you suggest are nearly equal to the cost of the camera, and they can't even be purchased, just borrowed. While I'm sure they're amazing, I'm not trying to live-stream, just convert a video file.
NFGphoto

Postby codetricity » 08 Nov 2016, 00:19

The only people using the HDMI port are either doing streaming or they are taking the HDMI stream and working with object recognition (example: car navigation or facial emotion recognition). I do not think that there is an application to take the saved HDMI video format from a recorded stream and then convert it into equirectangular. I've heard that the HDMI streams lacks some orientation metadata to enable the conversion. I have not confirmed this.

I've heard rumors that the output of the USB port on the THETA S can be upgraded to support 1080p with a future firmware upgrade. Keep an eye open for this possible upgrade as I think it may solve some of your problems.

I don't think that the THETA SC can support streaming at all. I don't have one to test.
codetricity

Postby mbirth » 24 Nov 2016, 11:16

The new firmware 1.82 and the new UVB Blender 2.0.0 should now support live streaming in 1080p (well, 960p) at 30fps. However, I can't seem to get it to switch to 1920x960.

And from the manual it seems like the UVC Blender is also capable of using the HDMI signal from the camera as input - if your PC has HDMI in.
mbirth

Postby AbidNae39072601 » 12 Sep 2019, 10:01

No, there is no HDMI to USD cable or adapter. You may want to provide some info exactly what capture card you are talking about using with the laptop. Sounds like you want to take the laptop video out, send it to another computer with a capture card to record, correct? What equipment do you have exactly?
Free article spinner
Article spinner free
Plagiarism Checker Free
AbidNae39072601

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA