Theta S doesn't charge or is recognised by computer unless connected to wall power outlet

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta S doesn't charge or is recognised by computer unless connected to wall power outlet

Postby 360Backpacking » 19 Dec 2016, 19:11

For some reason my Theta S no longer charges when I connect it to my USB power brick charger. It only charges when I connect it directly to the wall outlet.

Likewise, when I connect it via USB to my laptop, it isn't detected unless I plug my laptop into a wall outlet.

Is there an issue with my Theta S? It used to work fine before, this seems to be a new issue and I haven't done a new firmware update or anything for this issue to arise.
360Backpacking

Re: Theta S doesn't charge or is recognised by computer unless connected to wall power outlet

Postby codetricity » 19 Dec 2016, 20:08

I seem to recall that the THETA needs 1.5amp for reliable charging. Depending the the USB port type (2.0, 3.0, 3.1), the power could be as low as 0.5amp. It's possible that the charging current was right on the borderline before and no longer works. What is your battery pack output rated at?

[url]http://superuser.com/questions/690074/what-is-the-power-output-of-a-usb-port
[/url]
https://www.extremetech.com/computing/115251-how-usb-charging-works-or-how-to-avoid-blowing-up-your-smartphone

I have no experience with this battery, but it does look like it supports the amperage.
codetricity

Re: Theta S doesn't charge or is recognised by computer unless connected to wall power outlet

Postby jcasman » 20 Jan 2017, 15:15

I can't address why it worked before but doesn't work now, but I'll confirm what @codetricity is saying, I always have to use a wall plug to charge my RICOH THETA S. Plugging into the USB ports on my MacBook Air (early 2015, USB 3.0 but it appears that it only supplies 1.0amp) does not work for charging.
jcasman

Postby advanceinstitute » 26 May 2019, 16:27

I think its battery is damage and discharge automatically. My laptop also shows the problem like this. I change my laptop's charging jack and change its battery and its work fine.
Best Laptop Repairing Course in Delhi.
advanceinstitute

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA