Editing undistorted photos in Photoshop

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Editing undistorted photos in Photoshop

Postby rictan » 11 May 2017, 16:32

What's the best way to un-distort the stereographic images in Photoshop so that I can edit them like a normal image? I've tried Filter > Distort > Polar Coordinates, but all I get is either an inverted tiny planet or a wavy image.

Is there an easy way to get something like a Goode homolosine projection, where the spherical image is unpeeled and leaves empty space (like https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Goode-homolosine-projection.jpg) instead of distorted at the edges? This would make adding objects or using the clone tool a lot easier. Then I would need an easy way to revert it back to the original Theta 360 distortion.
rictan

Re: Editing undistorted photos in Photoshop

Postby rictan » 16 May 2017, 16:33

I've found the answer, so I'll share it here for everyone's benefit. Although Photoshop does not currently have this feature, there is a new program called Affinity Photo, which does exactly what I needed. It will take your 360 flat image and allow you to view and edit it in equirectangular projection. Once you have made your edits, you can then convert it back to its original format.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/
rictan

Postby Svendus » 17 May 2017, 15:21

Affinity Photo are Affordable it works with copy layers and the saved image keeps goo quality
Svendus

Postby codetricity » 22 May 2017, 19:04

Thanks. I didn't understand this question originally. Is this what you're trying to do?

That's a cool feature. Thanks for sharing it.
codetricity

Postby rictan » 28 May 2017, 16:38

Thanks Svendus. I wish your post had come a few days earlier :lol:
It would have saved me a lot of time trying to find the program, and then wading through their tutorials to find what I needed. The video in your post would have been very useful.

codetricity, yes, that's what I was after.

I wish this forum also sent email notifications when someone had responded.

Since I'm here again, some more useful info. I've just finished the free trial with Affinity Photo (only 14 days!). I got an email to purchase for $49.99 (USD), but when I tried to purchase, they attempted to charge me $79.99 (AUD) which is about $60 USD. It is rude and shocking that they should favour US buyers and charge more to everyone else around the world. They are not even a US company, they are UK.

My tip is, no matter what country you are in, select "United States" as your country, and pay the lower amount. The software is really only worth $50 to me, as it is very slow for doing anything else.
rictan

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA