Theta V Windows App does NOT work

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Theta V Windows App does NOT work

Postby Bob11 » 27 Sep 2017, 23:07

Hi -

Just purchased the Theta V. I had tried out the theta SC (I believe it was) a week before. Using the most recent software downloaded from the website, Windows 8.1

Trying to convert ANY video from the spherical video to a regular video does NOT work. The Windows app either crashes if the file size < 70.8MB, or seems to hang at EXACTLY the same spot around 70.8 MB. (I.e., 74242769 bytes), no matter what the file size.

(I.e., a 250MB will "Freeze" at about 29.6%, and a 500MB will "freeze"/"hang" at about 14.8%, etc, etc).

This is very annoying, as at the moment it is an expensive piece of junk.

Could you please fix it ASAP, as I only have a 15 day return window to return this if it is not fixed by then.

I have updated the firmware on my device (the 1.002), and using the Sep 15th build of the software. Since it is hanging at *exactly* the same location no matter what the file size, I suspect you have some kind of counter/file sizing error in your software app.

I don't believe my recorded video would be the issue - but if you want, I can send you a sample video that hangs. I believe my windows set up is fine (Windows 8.1).

Please fix ASAP.

Thank-you.
Bob11

Re: Theta V Windows App does NOT work

Postby Bob11 » 27 Sep 2017, 23:14

pps - obviously I can't convert properly on another system - as it seems to resize it (so I do NOT get the 4k video).

I did try converting on a windows 7 machine, as well as an iPad - both convert fine except for the fact it converts it to HD (instead of 4k) - which makes this device pretty much useless at the moment. (I NEED 4k, not HD, otherwise I would have gotten the cheaper model).

Please fix this bug, as I believe it is in your Theta V software conversion app.

Thank-you.
Bob11

Postby wlchan18 » 05 Oct 2017, 08:06

I am having the same problem. I cannot convert the videos in my desktop PC and the file size it too large for transferring through the phone.
wlchan18

Postby codetricity » 11 Oct 2017, 19:05

wlchan18 wrote:I am having the same problem. I cannot convert the videos in my desktop PC and the file size it too large for transferring through the phone.

Did you see this update from September 28, 2017, version 3.1.1 ?
https://theta360.com/en/support/download/pcmac/

It is now compatible with RICOH THETA V
-It is now possible to convert and play back 4K video.*
-It is now possible to play back 360° Spatial Audio.

Are you using Windows or Mac? If you're using a Mac, you may need this:

http://lists.theta360.guide/t/mac-file-transfer-app-for-video-files-over-4gb/1781?u=codetricity
codetricity

Postby MultiTech_Guru » 16 Oct 2017, 22:01

Same problem here. Kinda wish I would have found this before I bought it, as it's just an expensive toy at the moment.

One thing I can't get passed; I bought an Insta360 Air and this tiny thing does the stitching of the 360 video AS IT'S RECORDING! How can a $150 smartphone attachment blow a $500 prosumer device out of the water in this area? Just blows my mind.

But yeah, I've never got a single conversion to work. I did get one that finally finished, and it was all good with the export for about a minute or two - at that point my screen saver came on and must have caused some kinda of rendering error.

I've also noticed that if I try and multi-task while it's rendering, it causes it to freeze; but if I leave it alone, never switch windows, and wait the hour+ it takes to try and render something (thus making my computer useless during that time)... just a lot of negative going on here.

***Update***
I've gotten a few small files to convert, but anything larger than 500 MB (my number, I think I saw people with actual tested sizes somewhere on here) don't work. It get's a little into the single digits of the percentages and freezes. :(
MultiTech_Guru

Postby JohnSlicher » 20 Oct 2017, 07:24

Hi, same problem, I just buy theta V and cannot convert 4k video on my window 7.
and cannot convert on window 8.1 too.
my lastest software is 3.1.2, it's cannot do anything .
JohnSlicher

Postby AngeloFarina » 26 Oct 2017, 07:44

Same problem here, on Windows 7 Pro 64 bits.
Instead, on my son's machine (windows 10 pro) the conversion is completed correctly...
I also attempted to use the Ricoh Theta V for live streaming. The required driver (UVC4K_setup64_en.exe) does not install on Windows 7, instead the camera streams without need of drivers on Windows 10.
I start thinking that this device is designed for Windows 10 only...
AngeloFarina

Postby ChristianOse » 01 Nov 2017, 08:03

I have never managed to get one single working result in 4k and spherical sound on WIN 10. Streaming stumbles, converting freezes, downsizing to FullHd ruins the quality. Soon I'll claim for compensation
ChristianOse

Postby trundlemanor » 01 Nov 2017, 15:49

Mine stops at 23.1 and the processor gives up. What a pointless problem. I upgraded to the V because I wanted better video and now it looks like it was a waste of $500. I'm sorry I don't have more to add.
trundlemanor

Postby MultiTech_Guru » 29 Dec 2017, 22:37

Even the new update doesn't solve this issue. I was holding out on buying some more, I thought this would be the perfect solution, so I was waiting for this new patch.

Didn't solve a thing. If you have the folder open for your video, you can see the app is trying to create the file... but it keeps deleting it right away.

Never even get's off the ground with the percentages.
https://cl.ly/oaaj

*Sigh* :cry:
MultiTech_Guru

Postby AVL007 » 03 Jan 2018, 17:23

J'ai le meme problème il faut juste attendre même quand le programme gèle il travaille attendre la fin et la vidéo est convertie
I have the same problem you just have to wait even when the program freezes it works wait for the end and the video is converted
Surface 4 pro Windows 10
AVL007

Postby micheag767 » 10 Aug 2018, 04:43

Get the android app run it on windows with the help of Android emulators like Nox Emulator for Windows. I am sure it will works. Hope that helps.
micheag767

Postby HelpIfICan » 04 Oct 2018, 07:24

Convert a video to a playable format.
An Error has occurred,
Sorry, please perform the operation again from the start.
V: 3.7.1

Running on Windows 10 64bit.

Fails every time.
4th October 2018.
New product purchased only this week.
Any idea, or other sw we can use.
It looks as though this is an ongoing fault with no prospect of being fixed.
HelpIfICan

Postby blimpus » 20 Jun 2019, 05:11

Has anyone figured out a solution to this? I've been having the exact same issue with converting videos using the Windows application. I have a Theta V and I'm using Windows 10 64-bit. The only thing that happens when I try to convert is the following error:

"An error has occurred
Sorry, please perform the operation again from the start."

I'm able to convert using the Android app which is extremely slow. Also Windows 7 works, but it's limited to HD quality. I've been contacting Ricoh support for years...every time I'm contacted and reply, they disappear and I hear nothing back. :\
blimpus

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA