How to achieve "flat" panorama from a 360 photosphere(?)

The place to discuss development topics.
Discussions on the RICOH THETA API and SDK, image processing of spherical images, other hardware related topics, introduction of useful libraries, etc.

How to achieve "flat" panorama from a 360 photosphere(?)

Postby raygeeknyc » 09 Jul 2019, 11:59

I have an application in which I want to apply object detection and classification to the contents of "the room" as seen by my Theta V.

I'd like to view the room as either a flat panorama, in which the left and right edges are continuous, ie. moving off of the left edge would take you to the right edge, or as a cube: 6 faces of the 360 view.

I don't want to just crop the sections of the sphere, I want to remove the spherical "distortion" so that the resulting planes are all visually flat images which could be stitched together.

I thought that I'd do this from either a Python or C++ program using OpenCV or using some(?) existing application that I could script the invocation of. I've not been able to find anything.

Does anyone know of an application or a technique?
TIA
raygeeknyc

Re: How to achieve "flat" panorama from a 360 photosphere(?)

Postby raygeeknyc » 10 Jul 2019, 12:17

I've found this which attempts to do it
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/29678510/convert-21-equirectangular-panorama-to-cube-map
but the implementation I've worked with in the stream of answers produces planes with some obvious errors (lines with points of inflection)
Still it it the most promising I've found, I'll try working with the solutions on that thread for a while
raygeeknyc

Return to Development