Google street View Local Guides program

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

Google street View Local Guides program

Postby Svendus » 12 Feb 2016, 07:08

Google are not afraid of huge THETAS Equirectangular .tiff files
from the Pano2VR5 Aplication Converted input.
The 19 files from our neighbors hotel were 992 MB (1 040 504 716 byte)
they thank You and want you to participate
Al the Meta Data are included in the images from Pano2VR aplication just name the files Pano in the start of the name type: pano_Charlottenlund (1).tif and so on
I actually uploaded all 19 tiff images each 55,1 MB (57 810 914 byte)
each in one upload,the start name Pano tells Google that the image is a Equirectangular panoramic Photo Sphere image.
The neighbor are pleased with the advertisement :D and business are growing
By signing up to be a member of the Local Guides program as a Local Guide
You get in touch with Google and you can see Your Timeline
where you and your Smartphone has been and even the Equirectangular THETAS images
uploaded on different locations to Google Photos from your Smart Phone
iPhone IOS or Android

Requirements for 3D and Earth View
Svendus
 
Posts: 162
Joined: 16 Dec 2015, 04:51

Re: Google street View Local Guides program

Postby mbirth » 13 Feb 2016, 19:19

So what's the advantage of tiff files vs. jpeg with highest quality?
mbirth
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 13:53

Re: Google street View Local Guides program

Postby DennisMabrey » 14 Feb 2016, 00:06

mbirth wrote:So what's the advantage of tiff files vs. jpeg with highest quality?


My understanding is that Jpeg's that are set to the highest quality (say 100) are still lossy compressed. It isn't by much but it is enough so that you lose some of the color data.

TIFFs on the other hand are 'generally' not lossy compressed (depending on the compression algorithm used).

There are other differences such as TIFFs can use CMYK and alpha channels but obviously these don't apply to 360 Theta photography.

There is a spec for lossless JPEG but
DennisMabrey
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 21 Jan 2016, 19:47

Re: Google street View Local Guides program

Postby mbirth » 14 Feb 2016, 13:50

DennisMabrey wrote:My understanding is that Jpeg's that are set to the highest quality (say 100) are still lossy compressed. It isn't by much but it is enough so that you lose some of the color data.

TIFFs on the other hand are 'generally' not lossy compressed (depending on the compression algorithm used).


But the Theta captures images in JPG format. So even if you convert them to Tiff, the colours are already gone.
mbirth
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 13:53

Re: Google street View Local Guides program

Postby DennisMabrey » 14 Feb 2016, 15:37

mbirth wrote:But the Theta captures images in JPG format. So even if you convert them to Tiff, the colours are already gone.


Well, the Theta saves them in JPG format but it is possible/probable the camera originally stores it in its own raw format in a fast temp buffer first and then converts it to JPG. I have seen other threads on this forum as asking if it is possible to save it as some sort of RAW format (for example here: https://developers.theta360.com/en/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=251)

The nice thing about RAW formatting is you have all the color information the camera caught to the best of its ability. To be honest, very few people probably run photoshop on their images (I do to remove myself and/or the tripod).
DennisMabrey
 
Posts: 46
Joined: 21 Jan 2016, 19:47

Re: Google street View Local Guides program

Postby mbirth » 14 Feb 2016, 16:28

DennisMabrey wrote:Well, the Theta saves them in JPG format but it is possible/probable the camera originally stores it in its own raw format in a fast temp buffer first and then converts it to JPG. I have seen other threads on this forum as asking if it is possible to save it as some sort of RAW format


Yes, but this isn't possible at the moment. And the OP make it sound like he converted the JPG to TIFF and uploaded almost a Gigabyte instead of a tenth of that with JPEG format.
mbirth
 
Posts: 122
Joined: 30 Apr 2015, 13:53


Return to Everything About RICOH THETA



All times are UTC