GPS data does not update for Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone using the Self-timer Function

The place to discuss general topics.
Discussions on RICOH THETA shooting techniques, spherical images or self-made apps on theta360.com, introduction of attachments, etc.

GPS data does not update for Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone using the Self-timer Function

Postby jasonpearce » 01 Jul 2016, 02:40

I have a Theta S and an iPhone 6 with version 1.8.1 of the Theta S application from Ricoh.

When I attempted to capture "Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone using the Self-timer Function", all of my images ended up having the same GPS coordinates of the first image in the series.

This was not my expected or desired behavior since the camera and I were in motion.

My objective was to capture one image every minute as I rode my bike on a trail. The camera was attached to my helmet and the phone was attached to my handle bars. After joining the phone to the camera's WiFi, I used the Theta S app to begin automatically taking one image a minute.

The result were 90 successful images, but all with the same GPS data. See the images and GPS data here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jasonpearce/albums/72157670363813276

If I don't use the self-timer functionality and instead take each image individually, the GPS data for each image (when the camera is in motion) is unique and correct.

Do others have this same problem? Is this by design or is this a bug? Is the desired behavior to have the GPS data correct for each image regardless if it is taken manually or via a self-timer?

Is there an different iOS application that does have a self-timer AND properly records unique GPS data for each automatically captured image?

Thank you.
jasonpearce

Re: GPS data does not update for Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone using the Self-timer Function

Postby Svendus » 01 Jul 2016, 05:24

Hi
it is actually not a problem 8-) the THETA S do not have a GPS module
The GPS data are picked up from the phone through WIFI
same thing with most action cam
Tips : You can manually write the GPS data in Google Picasa
the data are automatically saved to the image file
just drag the place mark in Picasa to the location the image was taken
Svendus

Re: GPS data does not update for Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone using the Self-timer Function

Postby jasonpearce » 01 Jul 2016, 21:12

Svendus,

Thanks for responding. I'm aware that the Theta S does not have a GPS module, that the iPhone 6 does have a GPS module, and that the GPS data is written to the Thata S captured images by the iOS application.

I believe this process is documented in the manual that I found here (https://theta360.com/en/support/manual/s/content/shooting-photo/shooting_photo_02.html):

"If a still image is taken while connected to a smartphone with a GPS function enabled, position information is recorded for the photo."

For me, this process writes unique GPS data to each image when "Shooting Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone". But when I attempt to "Shooting Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone using the Self-timer Function", the iOS-app appended GPS data is no longer unique and instead writes the GPS data acquired when the first image was taken to all automatically-captured images.

This is not the behavior I expected, particularly when both the Theta S and paired iPhone 6 are in motion as they were on my 10-mile biking example.

My expectation is that the appended GPS data for each image, regardless if it is captured manually via a smart phone or automatically via the self-timer function, would be that each image would receive unique GPS data from the smart phone at the time each image was captured.

My questions are:
* what behavior do others expect?
* what results do others receive (same or different than me)?
* what behavior did the iOS app or Theta S developers intend?
* can we change the behavior and result to what I (and maybe others) desire?

Also, thank you for suggesting a means of modifying the GPS data manually. I'm familiar with Google Picasa and several other ways of changing GPS data one image at a time. My desire, however, is to automatically capture and write the correct GPS data to each unique image (instead of just to the first image in a series, resulting in incorrect data for the remaining images in the series).
jasonpearce

Postby Svendus » 03 Jul 2016, 12:19

GPS data does not update for Still Images while Connected to a Smartphone using the Self-timer Function sorry i picked the wrong link :(
Last edited by Svendus on 09 Jul 2016, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
Svendus

Postby jasonpearce » 08 Jul 2016, 21:45

Svendus,

I find it rather disingenuous for you to post a link to a Samsung Mobile video in this Theta S forum.

While I expected the video to perhaps be a video blog of you validating the GPS tagging problem this tread is discussing, or maybe even a solution, you instead linked to a 360 degree video of someone parachuting down a ski slope.

Your link to that video doesn't add value to the topic at hand, which is a) confirming that others do not obtain unique GPS data when capturing still images via a smartphone while using the self-timer function, and b) how to fix the issue.

Do you have a Theta S? Do you have a smartphone? When you use your smartphone and the self-timer function to take pictures while the camera and smartphone are in motion, do the resulting images have unique GPS data or the same GPS data?

Please stay on topic and refrain from linking to unrelated videos taken by unrelated products.
jasonpearce

Postby Svendus » 09 Jul 2016, 12:25

So sorry Sir jasonpearce i answered on the Phone and picked the wrong Link :oops:
such thing happens i understand that you are aware that the Theta S does not have a GPS module
the only way for you are an app for your smartphone with time laps tricking the THETA S to shoot
and now i do not care finding the missing link again.
Svendus

Postby jasonpearce » 09 Jul 2016, 16:54

Correct. When I use the Theta S module on a smart phone to take individual photos, each individual photo receives unique GPS data. When I use the Theta S module on a smart phone to automatically take photos using the self-timer function while the phone and camera are in motion, all images in the series receive the GPS data of the first image taken (not unique GPS data for each image). Is this what you or others experience? Is that what you or others expect?
jasonpearce

Postby AaronGeis » 29 Jan 2017, 20:22

I have encountered the same problem in preparing to use the Theta S for the Street View Loan program to document hiking trails.

I wondered if I was doing something incorrectly but it appears that others are experiencing the same difficulty.

The fix that I intend to implement is to run the GPS4Cam while also running the Theta S on self-timer/interval capture mode. I'll let you know how it works when I get a break in the weather to try it out.
AaronGeis

Postby AlexLuuII » 28 Sep 2017, 03:25

i have the same problem but a litle different
I hava a Ricoh Theta m15, and when update firmware, it can not recorded any GPS data to the picture (connected to iPhone6+, and using iP to take picture)
Before that, with original *factory* firmware it did good!
How can i downgrade it to original firmware :(
AlexLuuII

Postby serenity » 27 Jan 2019, 23:26

Is this still an issue or has someone found a fix? I'm coming across the same problem with interval shooting tethered to an iphone (i.e. only first photo has GPS data)
serenity

Postby dexterandscout » 20 Feb 2019, 18:28

I am also having this problem. Has anyone found a fix?
dexterandscout

Postby dexterandscout » 28 May 2019, 20:34

I found that this happens when my phone display times out/goes to sleep...which is annoying because that means I have to have my phone display locked on at all times when im taking pics.

When the phone screen is on and the app is in the foreground....I have no issues.
dexterandscout

Return to Everything About RICOH THETA